methadone

do any of you have any knowledge on this? do you know anyone who takes it etc? my dh was prescribed it but never given any info on it, it helped him and we never thought of checking bad side effects. hes recently been looking on line and what an eye opener it is! in extreme cases death, respiratory failure, the list is endless. just wondering if any one has views on this?
please no bashing just looking for opinions, thanks!

san78

Asked by san78 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• SO how is he feeling without it? Hope he goes back to it and get wean slowly as he should. Good luck for you both
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Ohhhh nooo.. It's pretty much a leagal heroine... is he thinking of going off the medication? if so he may need a medical detox.. It's a very addictive drug.. No basing here but if he goes off of it i would suggest a medical detox.. also do as much research as you can on it as you already are doing.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't know much about it, but it comes up in celebrity drug death cases all the time. The one thing I do know is that it can be fatal in combination with certain combinations. I suggest calling your pharmacist and going back for a consultation to at least know what to watch out for.
    dinosmu

Answer by dinosmu at 12:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I do know someone that takes it, she has been taking it for 7 years. She can't NOT take it without having HORRIBLE side effects and detox problems. They have tried to lower her dose to close to nothing but she can't do it, her body is not capable of function without it. She was pregnant while on it and her daughter was born premature, addicted to it as well and had many problems her first few years of life. It is a very serious drug and its as addictive as the drug (heroin). Be careful and good luck.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Isnt this drug to help you overcome heroin coke etc? As with anything we take there are side effects
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You can't do without it once up get to a therapeutic dose....and it has a really long half life, so getting off it is a journey (i fostered babies from moms on methadone and they out grow their dose before they can hold at a longer dose~heroin is much easier on a newborn and easier to get off).

Lots of stimga with that med
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• my cousin is on it for chronic pancreatitis pain because nothing else was helping her. I still cant believe the doctor put her on it so far she says she feels high all day. That would be no fun!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• A friend of mine went to a rehab to overcome her heroin addiction and they prescribed it for her, though quite frankly it's practically the same stuff. It's super addictive and the side affects are the same as anything else really, but I know once she got out of rehab and relapsed and she couldn't find heroin she would just purchase methadone. Idk, if I were you, I'd go back to the doctor and see if there was anything else because I've done my own research on it and it just doesn't seem worth it. If you stop taking it suddenly without medical supervision, so many awful things can happen.
    little_lion

Answer by little_lion at 1:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Call your pharmacist
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Methadone is for heroin addicts correct? to help them not feel sick & eventually wean them off or keep them "comfortable" so they don't use, over dose, & do bad things t o get their next fix? It's given to addicts who have received treatment & want help off this nasty drug? I have never heard about side affects, but like anything else, people should be aware & use with caution. GL addiction is an ugly, ugly hard thing to overcome and go through.....all the best to you.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010