Why is American Football so popular in the USA?

and do you feel men are sometimes pressured to like it?

My DH personally doesn't like it, but its like a passion where we live and heresy to say you don't, so we often play along to get along, but we have no interest in it.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just come to Alabama/Auburn country and you will see true football living. It gets ludicrous sometimes. Most of the time in fact.

My dh has a friend, college who has never been to the South...she came for a visit and was astounded by how much football "stuff" is sold around here.

Its not football where I come from, its a RELIGION all to itself....and if you are not a part of the religion, then you must be of the devil. lol.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh, probably—if you're part of a subculture where appreciation of football is a requirement for manhood.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I know plenty of men who don't like it, or don't care for any particular team. My stepdad watches any football game that comes on, but he really only cares for our hometown college team. I don't think its just for men anymore, plenty of women do, too. As to why? It can be exciting :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• IDK, why is soccer so popular in Europe? Because kids are born playing and watching it, just like football here in the US
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have no idea. Maybe men think they are proving how masculine they are? And i have no idea why women like to watch it or ....why anyone does.
    I prefer SOCCER.
    Soccer playes are handsome. They are slim and fast on their feet. Football players look like huge mounds of muscle and nothing more.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Its like that here too. Their football merchandise is EVERYWHERE on everything. ugh.

and heaven help ya if you like any of the neighboring teams around here. Yet go an hour in any direction and people not only are rooting for other teams, but don't care if you like other teams AND you can actually find other teams' merchandise around. Not just the one team.
    Anonymous

• Why is it so popular? Because it is AWESOME!!!

I've never thought that anyone (men or women) are pressured to like it....

GO STEELERS!!! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010