When should I put him in a bed instead of a crib?

He's 17 months old....

At what age did you put your little one in a bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that it depends on your child. My daughter was in her toddler bed at a year old. But my son however, was over 2 before he got his toddler bed. My fear was him running about the house while i was asleep. (he would knock down or climb over gates) My son never tried to climb out of his crib though like my daughter did so keeping him there was A ok with me.

I say at 17 months its iffy...If you are comfortable with putting him in a bed and giving him that freedom, then I say go for it.
    Mama_G312

Answer by Mama_G312 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My oldest was in a bed pretty early, can't remember exactly, but around twoish. My second one I let stay in his crib until he was a solid four, I'm not kidding. He loved his crib, it made him feel secure, and it meant I didn't have to run out and buy a new bed!!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Mine were 2 1/2 ish.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• mine were 3-4 YO when the crib went bye-bye
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• mine were 2 and 3 when we switched. We waited until it was time for night time potty training for our second child because she was happy in the crib and we had a lot of problems keeping our 1st in bed after we had switched him.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i wated until Trinity was almost 2 years. i told her your a big girl now you need your own bed. she was acting like she got a new toy
    christan723

Answer by christan723 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When they start trying to get out of the crib...or they are becoming too old for the crib.

DD never tried to climb out and she was pushing 3 years old before we put her in a toddler bed.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son has recently started putting his foot up on the side of the crib trying to get out. When he figures out how to crawl out of it, I think it'll be time to move to a bed.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I've been contemplating getting DS a toddler bed, he's 19 months old and he loves crawling all over our bed or even the guest bed but he hates getting in his crib. I don't think he likes being "caged in". We've never had him sleep with us either so it's not that he's used to being in a regular bed... I guess like other mommy's have said you just have to take the cues from your child.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 11:09 AM on Nov. 10, 2010