Do you vaccinate?? If so why and if not why??

I know this might start an argument but I want to know why some people dont vaccinate.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 12:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I choose to have my child vaccinated, to an extent. The vaccinations that have been around a while and have been proven in the long run to be beneficial (rotoviris, polio, etc) I am fine with my daughter recieving. But I dont get her flu shots (since they only prevent against a very minimal number of strains, and since the virus changes all the time, the new vaccines are not the same), H1N1 (not enough research on the vaccine), and chickenpox (We all had chicken pox when we were kids, we were sick about a week, and that was that. Chicken pox is shown to be exponentially more harmful the older you get. And I dont want to trust my DD to get a booster when she is 18 or 19, and if she misses it, it could be devastating.) When she goes to school, I may re-evaluate my stance on a flu shot. Although she is 17 months and has only been sick once, and she caught it from family, and it was only 2 days of a runny nose.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I only do for what is required by the state, for school etc. I don't for anything else (flu, H1N1), I don't think they are safe and there are horrible side effects to many vaccinations.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes. I want my child protected.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have my children vaccinated for required shots... no flu vaccine or anything though.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My daughter has gotten all of her vaccinations at the time she was supposed to. Why? Because I feel it is best for her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes. To help prevent the illnesses they protect against.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I do vaccinate. I've researched it a lot, and have stayed away from the biased, scar-tactic sites. Vaccines are VERY beneficial for the high majority of children. There are some instances where a child should not be vaccinated, but those cases are few and far between. I think the non-vaxing trend is very dangerous and find most of the arguments against vaccines to be ridiculous and unfounded. If, Heaven forbid, there is an outbreak of certain diseases, MY son will be protected.I would never subject him to a potentially life-threatening disease when it could have easily been prevented. As for the flu vaccine, I don't know that I'll have him get it, and if I do, it will be without the h1n1. I'm still undecided on the chicken pox vaccine, but I will most likely have him get that too. I know a lot of people disagree with me, but that's fine.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I vaccinate because I love my children and want to protect them from suffering and/or dying from a preventable disease.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I've never had a vaccination in my life...my parents didn't believe in them, something about them having monkey blood or something in them at the time. I didn't plan on vaxing my kids which was good since our oldest had chronic croup until about 5-6 yrs of age and so really could not have them. A Dr. talked hubby into the first one's with our son. I don't know how many he got at that visit as I wasn't there but he reacted so badly to it that we decided not to do any more of them.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I will not tell anyone to vaccinate or not vaccinate. I used to allow my son to get the shots. I wish I could take back every single one of them. One. I know the poisons in the vaccines are not good for anyone, especially not a tiny child they like to give it to. They give a baby the same amount as they would Shaq. Two. I watched my son go from a happy, smiling baby to a hollow eyed serious child. All this time being a good little parent and doing what the doctor said, not questioning a thing. If you were to look at his pictures you would see the changes over time. He'd look through you if he looked at you at all. Wouldn't answer to his name. Walked on tippy toes. Screamed for no reason. No speech until 13 months or so, gone completely by 18 months. Still, continued vaxxing when he was supposed to. I fought hard for him. He'd gain speech back to lose it again. Did the shots cause it? Don't know. Did it worsen ? Yep. No more.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010