Ideas?

I'm already overweight, and I was doing really good working out and losing weight before I got pregnant. Since I got pregnant, I've been on bed rest since 15 weeks, and I will be for the remainder of the pregnancy (I'm only 24 weeks now) I've done good and only gained 8 lbs so far, but laying around all day is making me lose my muscle mass and it's gotten so bad that when I have to go to the doctor, it hurts to just stand or walk to and from the bathroom or be up for periods of time. Any ideas on things I can do to help strengthen my muscles before I hop back in the gym after the baby?

Erin_Jus

Asked by Erin_Jus at 12:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I would ease into exercise by walking. Gradually increase your pace and length of walk.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think this is probably a question best asked of your doctor, since you indicated you're on bed rest. He or she should be able to advise you on what you can do that is safe for you and baby. Good luck to you--I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Could you do leg lifts or maybe hand held weights while on bed rest?I have no idea if thatw would be too strenous also I have never been on bed rest!I do feel bad for you as it must be awful!!
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ooops I thought you were asking what to do after baby was born. I would ask doctor what you can do now if that is what you want to know. Good luck!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• For now, like PPs said, just ask your doctor what would be recommended. I wouldn't do leg lifts since this would put a lot of pressure on your abs. You might just have to watch your diet for now. It sounds like you are doing great! Just focus on how you feel now and use it for motivation after the baby is born. If you breastfeed, the weight will come right off and if you start exercising again, you'll be well on your way! Good luck.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2010