I am having a mini meltdown

I go through these "funks" where I just can't deal with Money or balancing our checkbook and til now, the funks come and go within 1-2 weeks and everything is fine. We still have never paid anything late and have a credit score of 806 - I should mention also I am solely the one who does the bills or knows anything about the finances and my husband is unaware of my "funks" ) but today is the first time ever in 10 years we are in the negative.. I NEED a budget.. I don't know how to do one.... can someone help me? I want to be fruegel (bad spelling i know) and almost border line tight with our money so we actually HAVE some.. we don't make a LOT but it should be enough to live more than we are right now if I could get on track.....

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• The first thing you need to do is make a chart or a spreadsheet of all the money that comes in as well as all the money that goes out. Have a category for every bill you pay and how much you pay monthy. Take into consideration bills you only pay once or twice a year like property taxes and car insurance, too.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I feel really STUPID but I have tried that and can't seem to catagorize it accurately enough to even know what to set aside or pay each week. I can gather all the bills I have so I know what I have to pay out and what we bring home but can't seem to organize it...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You can do many things, you can go online and see if there is anything there that suits you, they have examples and sometimes you can find a program that will help you with it all. You could also hire a book keeper for a day to help you draw up a budget and teach you how to keep it going.
    butterflymama23

Answer by butterflymama23 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You can call Money Management International. They don't have a branch in your area, but they offer counseling over the phone 24/7.   It's a non-profit company, formerly known as Consumer Credit Services.  I believe most, if not all, of their services are free.  They can help you with budgeting and setting financial goals.  If you want to actually go in and talk to someone face to face or attend a class they might be able to refer you to a similar service in your area. 

http://www.moneymanagement.org/

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There are really simple templates in Microsoft excel or microsoft word that you should be able to use!! They are already categorized. keep your reciepts and remember it is always better to budget MORE than less as far as electric bills and other varying monthly bills!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010