Breastfeeding and pumping question ! pls read .

ok so I am ebf my ds he will be 9 weeks old on friday I am going back to work on friday and am trying to figure out how many ounces of pump breast milk I need to send with him to grandparents house it's only 6 hours so 2 maybe 3 feedings if he gets really hungry lol but since I have been ebf since he was born I have no clue how much he actually eats at each feeding lol any help would be great !
Thanks

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i like this link someone shared in a group
    http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/the-one-ounce-per-hour-rule-of-bottle-feeding-during-mombaby-separation/
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Three two ounce bottles will be perfect. Nurse right before you leave and immediately when you get back and he might not even need all of it. Make sure that they don't try to feed him at every whine or cry. Breastfed babies really only need 1-1.25 ounces per hour and you don't want him to be overfed so he will nurse more when you are with him. Your supply varies throughout the day and you want him to see bottles as low supply time and mom as higher supply times.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well I would try to send 4 -6 oz per feeding. Try pumping and feeding before you send the baby to grandmas. That way you can get a feel for how much the baby needs. You may want to have someone besides you feed the baby the bottle if possible....sometimes they resist bottles if you have been EBF.....good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of seperation. 6 hours = 6 to 7.5 oz, I'd probably leave 8. I'd store in 2 to 3 ounce portions. Syringe feed, finger feed, those are preferred to bottle, but bottle is OK if you have to use it. Slow flow nipple. VERY slow. 9 weeks...I'd offer 1.5 to 2 oz every hour and a half to two hours.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Babies will take more than they need. They have a need to suck at the breast that is not fulfilled with a bottle and they might get upset, but that does not mean that they are still hungry. They just need the sucking comfort.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010