Bottle?

Why does it seem like mothers get up in arms when a child over the age of 1 has a bottle? What is so wrong with it as long as it isn't used at bedtime or at least has water in it at bedtime?

A sippy is just a grown up version of the bottle and just because one prefers the bottle doesn't mean s/he doesn't know how to use a sippy, cup or straw. I just don't get it. We say children grow up too fast but we don't let them hold onto their childhood/baby things.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:02 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• i agree but i was told if i didnt break my kids from the bottle it would hurt their teeth and my doc told me that
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I dont see a problem unless the child is two or above. I think a two year old on the bottle is just the parents being lazy.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I never worried about it and my oldest who is 12 had a bottle until he was 4, and my middle one had it until he was over 4 only at bedtime though and my little princess was about the same and now she likes a sippy cup I don't pay any attention to what people think of it they are my kids and if I say its okay then thats what goes.
    histree

Answer by histree at 5:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I never had trouble getting them off by the age of 14 months or so. I never let them go to bed with one which is so bad for their teeth and i did not let them associate bedtime and bottle together. I would give them one before bath and then it was not the last thing they had before sleep and i had no trouble
    i think they can hang on to blankets or loveys until they are thirty as they are harmless but bottles and sippys if let go for a long period of time is not good for their health.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Our boys were off the bottle at 6 months. Once they turned a year old, we switched them to straw cups. (just as some background)

My personal opinion is that if they "can" use something other than a bottle, then they don't "need" the bottle. Bottle, sippy cup, straw cups, etc....are all vessels in which liquid is given. However...staying too long on the bottle or sippy cup can (not "will", just "can") cause problems with teeth, but more likely it will cause problems with oral muscle development. Different muscles are used with the bottle, different ones with the sippy and different ones with a straw. (that's from the two different OT's with whom we've dealt as well as a speech therapist)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008