So I went to the hospital yesterday morning and then realized that I have a massive bruise from where they put the IV in at...

I know this isnt normal, and I mean it is a good sized bruise. You can see where it went into my arm and almost the full length of where the needle was at because there is like a 2 inch bruise on my arm right now. Could this of been the tech's fault?? I mean I normally bruise but no where near this bad.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• It is absolutely common. Anytime a blood vessel is ruptured there will be some degree of bruising. I've seen IV bruising as large as 3inches in diameter. Put some ice on it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I wanted to add something. The reason you were being given IV fluids can attribute to more bruising. If you already have an infection or are dehydrated you system is already compromised. Bruising can be worse. Someone already mentioned if the tech starts digging. One last thing, if you have blood drawn the best way to avoid bad bruising...do NOT bend your arm. Keep the arm straight and apply pressure.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I've had that every time I've had an IV, so I'm not sure it;s entirely abnormal.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It happens to me. If it didn't hurt, I don't think anybody is at fault.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Very normal, the blood spills out underneath your skin to cause a bruise.

Answer by older at 1:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• its common
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Happens to me even with a blood draw sweetie and there is not much you can do maybe a warm pack!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have bruised a couple of times that I had my blood drawn. I had to have an IV in the back of my hand to have my tonsils out. And I bruised from that.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Very common.It could be the person who inserted it's fault. Their technique or they could have went through your vein upon insertion and fished around until they got flashback. Or it could be that you just bruised bad.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Actually, it is very common. It'll heal.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010