Are we in trouble....

I am wondering what happens or if we can get into trouble, my husbands boss is having issues with his business and he has been paying my husband in cash and says he is taking taxes out but we are no longer getting check stubs. Can I or should I say we get into trouble for this? Yes husband is looking for a new job but not so easy to do right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• both employer and employee can get in trouble for this. If anyone finds out. I wouldn't file taxes until I saw a tax form from him, chances are he isn't taking taxes out, or recording that he is paying hubby. If hubby puts that down as earnings on a tax form, he will have to pay those taxes himself. If the boss didn't put it down as income paid, and taxes out of it, don't let the IRS know.......
    but understand with a cash under the table job, you also won't be getting social security benefits for that work.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 1:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If he said he is paying the taxes he is full of it. I would ask to file out a 1099 I think that is what it is called and that way at the end of the year they take taxes out. Its illegal for the employer to do that and employee to except. YOur ripping off uncle sam
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sounds like your hubbys employer is just looking for a way to not only cut corners with the government but also with his employee's. I agree I seriously doubt that he is taking taxes out. I'd just have you hubby tell his boss to stop taking out taxes and then just make sure you set about 20 percent to the side.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, you could get into trouble if you're audited (or they are). Without a pay stub, you have no proof that taxes were paid and no way of knowing whether his W2 will be accurate or not.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 10, 2010