How do I start a simple kitchen garden? Do you really think it saves money by growing my own vegetables and spices?

I want to start out with a small garden until I know what I'm doing. Any tips?

cubanbeauty456

Asked by cubanbeauty456 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Home & Garden

• it saves to grow spices....but it depends on what u use and how often
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:28 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you have the time to devote to growing it, it really can save you tons of money. I bought my boyfriend an herb garden for Christmas last year, but it was too tedious for us to keep up with and all of the herbs died :( It was sad, we mourned them lmao. I think it would be best to start out with maybe one plant, like oregano or cilantro, one that you use all the time in your cooking (not saying you use oregano or cilantro all the time, but I do xD). It'll be good practice and you'll get a feel for what you're comfortable with and what sort of stuff you're willing to grow. There are tons of gardening groups on here too that could give you more advice than me :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• If you don't want something complicated or large, go with a Container Garden. The dirt around my home is not suitable for in-ground planting so my DH helped me set up a container garden several years ago. Last year, he built me an 8'x6' bed with mulch and fabulous dirt! We started out with Patio Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, and Peppers. Plant Marigolds with your Tomatoes. They are symbiotic plants! Good for each other! If you have any other questions you can message me or find ton of info through search engines.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2008