Any tips for a soon to be BF mom on how to make it easier??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As a mom/doula and woman who worked with a lactation consultant for a year in her retail boutique - here is what I have learned:

A proper latch will not hurt more than a few seconds. If your nipples hurt through the entire process there is probably something wrong. Get it fixed by seeing a good lactation consultant (save yourself the trouble and find your local contacts now)

Find a local support group (and check it out while you are still pregnant).

Get a great nipple butter and use it every time right from the VERY start.

Get a few pairs of reusable nursing pads (check out Etsy!). When it was time I rinsed some out and put them in the freezer. I would wash my pads a the sink and keep exchanging them from the freezer. Even after wringing them out well there was still enough water in them to freeze and be an amazing comfort.

use kellymom.com as your best reliable online resource.

Ina May's Guide To Breastf
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• SUPPORT AND EDUCATION!!! and your boobs thats al you need!! lol join the breastfeeding moms group. also take classes if u havent, also get a book called thats what they are for. i dont know who the author is and the womanly art to breastfeeding by la leche league. i also suggest you join the lal leche league. they are a wonderful source of support and education. and check out this site kellymom.com
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if u have the money, get a few nursing shirts just for when ur in public. trust me, it makes things a lot easier. also invest in a boppy pillow. are u low -income and working, if so, ur local WIC office will provide u with a free electric breast pump. buy some cooling gel pads for ur nipples, u will need them for the first week or so. get a handful of good nursing bras.
    remember that not all moms can breastfeed. so if something happens to where u cant, dont dwell on it...
    oh, make sure u have a lactation consultant with u during a feeding in the hospital to make sure u have propper latch and holding positions. congrats on the baby to come and good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Plan on being like a human pacifier for the first week or two. Have some Lanolin for your nipples, and they make a gel pad you can put in the fridge that was really soothing. If things go well, by the second week you'll hardly need those things. The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Searss was really helpful, I am sure they have this or something similar at your library or bookstore. Read up so you know what to expect and how things work- you'll be amazed at what you aren't told but if you have read up you will be prepared. And don't be afraid to ask questions and badger the nurses. My milk didn't come in until day 5 or 6 but it was fine, my colostrum was enough and I just nursed every two hours. It can be a bit much at first but once you are in a groove it is so easy- just latch baby on and you're done- no washing bottles and sterlizing nipples and mixing formula. I really think the most important thing is a can do attitude. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Know that newborns nurse most of the day. Constant nursing doesn't indicate that you're not making enough. Learn to look at diapers when worried about supply. One diaper per day of life until a week old, then 6-8 diapers in 24 hr period indicates that baby is indeed getting enough. Don't pump unless you HAVE to for seperation, (that's just MY advice, I hate pumping, and many new moms think that if you're nursing, you NEED to also pump). Go to LLL meetings. Read, read, read. Ask questions!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Watch your baby, not the clock! Plan on spending the first couple of weeks in bed (or on the couch) doing nothing but nurse.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Not sure if it's a tip or not, but having a Boppy pillow for breastfeeding was the smartest purchase I ever made. Also Lanolin cream for your soon to be sore/chapped nipples is a good thing to have on hand.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Patience!!! I used a nipple shield 4 the first month and loved it
    LadyofIvory

Answer by LadyofIvory at 1:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh, and Lansinoh cream IS good, buy my personal preference is Motherlove Nipple Cream, which I seem to only find online.
    Krysta622

• I wanted to also add skin to skin. I have seen first hand how much of an advantage babies who go right from birth to their mothers skin instead of being rushed away to be weighed, cleaned, etc. It's really best to let the baby have a full nursing session before allowing the nurses or anyone to take him or her (unless there is an issue - obviously).

Good luck mama! You'll do great!
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010