How do I go about firing a best friend?

She works for me and is completely lazy, i end up working my butt off while she sits on her butt all day and expects to be paid the same as me or more. She is the type of person who holds a grudges and will take it personally. I need to hire someone who will actually help me, I can't continue to do it on my own!

butterflymama23

Asked by butterflymama23 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• That is a tough one. Tell her the reason you are doing it. It's not right for you to do her job and her get paid. If she is a true friend it will pass. Good luck!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Doesn't sound much like a best friend to me. Nonetheless, I'd have a one-on-one sit down talk with her about what she needs to be doing. Give her a week or two and see if she changes. If not, give her the boot. If she gets mad and holds a grudge....well, like I said, doesn't sound much like a best friend to me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Doesn't sound as if much friendship is going on. I would just cut her loose. As an employee and 'a friend'.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• First of all, fire her. The rest will take care of itself.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oop, I was thinking firing as a best friend, not firing from work. Treat her as you would any other employee, prepare the proper paperwork. I would suggest having someone present in the room when you do terminate her employment.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Start out with " look you know I luv'ya and your my best friend but it is not working out between us, I feel I am pulling all the weight If you can't help me out more I will need to ask someone else to help me out and need to let you go"

A few years back me and a friend of mine became supervisors in a nursing home, she was lazy, always wanting to hang out with "aides" and gossip, never assisted in anything. I went to our manager and he started to push her out in a suttle way I can't really explain it but she did take the hint and left. I felt bad the way it worked out and could have been handled better
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would do it the same way I would fire a stranger, but since there is a friendship continue to explain the why behind it.

Answer by older at 1:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• All great above! I hire RNs who I get to be great friends with. It is so hard to "end the contract" but that needs to happen. Sometimes how the friendship part shakes out is based on their coping skills more than mine....I can't seem to control it. The people who tend stay in our lives are people with wonderful personal skills.

It is amazing what a whole childhood can do for how a person takes change, disappointment or criticism. When drama comes up big for people, it seems to be from past issue stuff. Big emotion might mean big issue...usually bigger than I can coach in my house!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Its just hard because we have been friends for atleast 10 years if not more. I want to be able to keep her on but it seems like she is taking advantage of the fact that i am a good natured person. I am a push over and I know it. I need to suck it up and just do it and grab some confidence its just alot harder then you think. I want to do it the nicest way possible. I do realize she isnt being much a friend but i just dont want to fight.
    butterflymama23

Comment by butterflymama23 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sounds like she's taking advantage of your friendship. You need to sit her down and explain to her that you're running a business and that in that setting you are her boss. If you feel bad about ruining the friendship, give her a warning and tell her if she doesn't improve by such-and-such a date, you'll let her go.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2010