teen mom

Just wondering what is you opinion on these shows Teen mom and Pregnant and 16? Do you like them? Do you think they make it seem like it okay to get pregnant at a young age? Or do you just not care

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I watch the show with my teens and their friends when they are over and we discuss it....why? because I have been there and went to a teen mom school with 30 other girls...The shows are 50% bullshit ... IMO....why? because they do not show the girls in the grocery store trying to budget $20 and $10 is for diapers, and trying to figure out gas money....when i was at that teen mom school there were girls taking the city bus just to get to school, there was even a homeless teen mom who jumped from place to place with her baby but always made it to school......and teen moms DO NOT DRIVE NEW CARS!!! and NEITHER DO THE CRACK HEADS MOMS ...referring to caitlyns mom suddenly driving a BMW!! you can't tell me that did not come from profits.

wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I watch them with my oldest daughter (11) because I was a teen mom and had her at 16. I dont think the show glorifies anything.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think they are ok...I hope that teens that do watch this do see its not a piece of cake having a child.
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They have to be getting paid something to keep going on the show. And some of them do make it look glamorous and cute to have a baby at 15. But not all of them. Annnnnnnnd, I'm still guilty of watching. :P
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it shows girls that it's hard to have a kid at such a young age but I am kinda on the otherside too I'm not saying they pay these girls to go out and get preggo but I think it only encourages it as well like an above poster stated the show needs new teens teen pregnancy is common but not every girl wants to advertise it most are too embarrased..Like where in the world are they finding all these teen girls to do the show if they want it to keep going there must be some kind of secret to making the show or something or maybe some of it's fake who knows it's tv
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think they're ok. I think the intention behind these shows is to show teenagers how difficult being a teen parent is.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I was a teen mom and I don't watch these shows, nor do I agree with thim. I truly believe that are not trying to show anything. Like most reality shows they are banking on the drama. Even though they are showing some of the troubles these girls are havng they don't show the real effects of this issue. That is the effects on the children that have suffer through the struggles a teen mom has. The risk of having such dysfuntional life due to the lack of understanding the psychcological effects of her actions have on her child. Most teens psyche's are not fulling developed themselves, so they lack the knowledge and understanding. Majority (not all)of them come from this type of enviroment so the cycle continues. If they really want to show how this subject effects lives show that side of it. Maybe that will make a change.
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 2:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't like them because they are annoying. It is annoying to see the girls whine so much. Get over it!! You had sex, you got pregnant, you are no longer a kid. Grow up and learn how to deal with life. I saw one episode where a girl was whining because her boyfriend was talking about getting a job at night, a job that payed well. She was whining because that meant that she would have to stay up with the baby and go to school in the day. Dude, you are not the only one who has had to deal with staying awake 24 hours at a time.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think there is a good reason to have them on. They are in a reality format, which entertains the audience intended while teaching a valid lesson. Being pregnant as a teen is not glamorous, cute or easy. You have to put it in terms that teens can appreciate and will feel compelled to tune in to. Teen pregnancy is not going to go away overnight and reality shows are hot right now. Instead of sticking our heads in the sand and floating around on the island of denial, why don't we accept that this venue attracts viewers and may be changing lives.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't watch them. From what I gather of the commercials for them, it seems like it's telling teens that it's okay to get pregnant and have a baby because mommy and daddy will be there to help you and take care of it, while you can go off and have a great time. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Getting pregnant at a young age is NOT the "popular" thing to do. Children having children? Kudos to those mothers who have had children at early ages and STILL graduated high school and made something of themselves. It's the kids who seem to think that their parents will take care of their responsibility that piss me off.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2010