Having trouble with my 3yr son!

Where or where did my sweet baby boy go??? Ever since he turned 3 in Aug. he has been a holy terror.. He is mean to his older sisters, me and daddy and also our family dog. He yells and screams, throws things and hits. He has know started tell us he hates us and he is leaving.He climbs on everything, he was even standing on the top of one of those car carts while i was paying at the grocery store. I cant turn my back on him for a min. I am so tired and at my whits end. We have spanked,did time outs and taken things away I am out of ideas.

mom23ks

Asked by mom23ks at 1:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not to discourage you or anything, but my son was exactly like that at 3, and it only got worse when he turned 4.. I dont know what to do either.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son did the same thing when he turned 3. He's 4 now and it hasn't gotten much easier. I just have to be consistent with his punishments. Good luck!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• ignore him when he acts like this. i mean watch him, but with a blank face. when he is about to do something that wil hurt him, just prevent it, no words, no reactions, stay calm. for some reason he is acting out for attention. my dd did this too, and i refused to give her the satisfaction of getting me riled up. she ended that phase quickly once i got every1 in my family on board w/ it.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Put him in some organized activity that will make him burn out all that extra energy and tire him out, use your authority and tell him this behavior will not be tolerated, and punish and follow through each and every time, even if he has to spend the whole day in punishment, he will eventually know who is boss.

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thanks ladies! He skipped right over terrible 2's I thought i was getting lucky lol... I said today to my mom that I was glad I had the boy last my girls weren't this bad or at least I dont remember it hehe
    mom23ks

Comment by mom23ks (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son is 3.5 and I have found that while he still gets the devil in him quite often, I have the best luck in praising him when he does something right. He likes attention, whether it be good or bad, so, when he's being a stinkerbutt, he has to go into his room by himself, which he HATES...if he's good he gets praise and we all have fun together. If I can see that he is starting to act up I'll try and diffuse the situation before it gets out of hand and suggest that I sit with him to read a book or play cars or something that he likes. If your son is needing attention, he just may be acting out to get it in one way or another. I know its hard, my son will hit and kick my older daughter to get HER attention too, its a constant work in progress. When my kids are playing nice together I ALWAYS make a big deal about how great it is, so much so that my son will run to tell me when he is sharing with his sister =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You have to keep it up.. it goes on for a LONG time, but you can't give up. Do the time outs follow through always. And spank when he does something dangerous or hits or something like that. and you shouldcheck out whattoexpect
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Whitney,
    I can't see what the last part of your post was!
    mom23ks

Comment by mom23ks (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Its the age
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son just turned around and bit my 5 month olds finger today for absolutely no reason. There is no reason for it, he's just three. It doesn't, however, make his behavior o.k.

It's important at this age, even if punishment seems ineffectual (it doesn't matter what we do, my son just laughs) that you are consistent with discipline. For us, the most effectual reaction has been removal of said child from incidence (where they also will not be receiving attention for their action) before coming in and discussing what went wrong.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:10 AM on Nov. 10, 2010