Any suggestions for a baby gift?

My baby brother and his wife had their first baby on October 25th. A little girl. My brother and I are very, very close. He really IS my best friend. Unfortunately they live in Memphis which is a 13 hour drive from us. I wanted to be there with them so bad when my SIL went into labor. My brother called me and text me dozens of times through the whole labor and delivery process, which was nice but we both wished I could have been there. Anyway, we are going to go visit them for Thanksgiving and meet my new niece. I want to give them (her) something special and meaningful but not cheesy. I want it to signify an extension of my relationship with my brother to include my new niece. So I need your help, I need some suggestions because I am totally blocked and on a budget. Any ideas?

momma2merks

Asked by momma2merks at 10:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Just for Fun

• What about starting a scrapbook for her.....start with your family and focus on you and your brother as children...then his marriage, then the baby coming.....while you are there....go out and have a family portrait made of your family and theirs or just your kids and the new baby to add to the scrapbook.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Do you have anything that could be passed down to her? Maybe a toy or a piece of clothing/blanket from your childhood. Do you have children? Maybe something from your child. I've found that things like this mean more than most things you can go out and buy. Its also easy on your budget. I think it is really great that you have such a good relationship with your brother. Good luck finding that perfect gift! :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 10:23 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• The last time I gave a baby gift for someone I knew that they had everything they needed. So I went to Things Remembered and got a really nice silver photo frame on one side and on the other side was enough room to put his name and date of birth. I thought it was nice. it wasn't expensive either.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 11:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I am also having a neice. I am thinking Disney stock. They are $24 dollars a piece, maybe four but I would definitely consider one. I love the idea of passing down and I will think on it for sure. My brother gave my first born a star named after her. The card said, "Welcome to the Universe". It was kind of neat the way he gave her birth a sense of infinite wonder, not limited to earthly thinking. I did for me anyway.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:52 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Someone gave me a beautiful baby blanket that I used for all of my sons baby pictures. Then I put the blanket away for him when he has children.
    For my nephew I painted and stenciled a child's wooden bench that he used while growing up. He's 18 now, a freshman in college and still has that bench in his bedroom at home.
    Do you have a baby picture of your brother? If you do, you can have that framed side by side with a picture of the new baby.
    cocosmama30

Answer by cocosmama30 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2008