WWYD? kids hitting others at school and no response from the teacher

Here's the deal. Anna is in a preschool program of 18 kids. One little guy was hitting a friend of hers so that she had print makes on her face. The mom went to talk to the teacher who smiled and stated they would watch... the mom then went to talk to the director of the program who stated if it happened again the kids mom would have to come to school... it did she never came! Since this the child has hit Anna and at least 2 others both of who parents have spoken to the teacher...I have a meeting with the teachers on Fri and plan to bring this up privately....thoughts...I have also have had issues with them not calling me when she was sick and had an ear infection and fever come on at school and they never said anything...CONCERNING since she is prone to febrial seizures....

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 1:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow where do i start well i know the teachers can't see everything that goes on but hitting at the age we all.know is going to happen but marks on her face the other kid would of had to be hitting her for awhile ya know so obviously they weren't being watched at all and when ur child is sick period they should call u right away so i guess my answer to u would be find a new preschool or daycare quick
    hardymom4

Answer by hardymom4 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My daughter comes home quite frequently with bruises on her face, swollen nose. Once a boy during nap time went over and stomped his foot in her stomach so hard she cried and had to go to nurses office. Never was I told about this. She and another girl were the only girls with a class room full of boys. They have  3 of all the grades. When I asked about it the response I get is the boys are really bad and we are working on it and Julie can hold her own. Well I guess she has to if she has to deal with that. This is elementary school. Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. It ticks me off.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Wow, that is unbelieveable!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If it's a licensed daycare in your state, look up the licensing regulations. Go in to your meeting with the teachers and see what is said, then request a meeting with the director. Explain your concerns again and use the regulations as a back-up. (An educated parent will get to her! then you can share your knowledge with other parents!) If your daycare is not licensed and you have a choice of changing, I would absolutely change places. I'm most concerned about the child being ill and you are not being called, but that's because I'm a nurse. :) HUGS to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Wow, I am so sorry!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would be raising hell....I know it stinks to have to do it but you or the other parents really need to put them in there place. I wouldnt go down quietly especially since this is a repeat offense....and tell them in no uncertain terms that if anything happens to your child you are to be notified. and as far as the other child something needs to be done or your gonna go over there head until you get it resolved. I dont think that being completely nice and understaning is gonna fix this....I would be as diplomatic as possible but a pain in the butt at the same time.GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would ask for a written policy regarding this behavior, so that you are clear on what happens. Then you can make the decision whether or not you want your child attending based on that policy. If your child stays, I would ask to sit in a day to help monitor (or something) to see if they actually ARE following the policy.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• OMG, they sound terrible! Very unprofessional! I would not bring it up privately.. I would demand an explination while everyone is there.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Bring it up privately with the teachers and the director of the preschool. If you're not 100% satisfied with how they are, or are planning to, handle the situation, start looking for a new preschool.

This is totally unacceptable and unprofessional behavior on their part.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• 18 preschoolers in one class? No wonder the teachers aren't seeing kids hit eachother or noticing that a child is sick! My son's class has 8 kids in it and 2 teachers. Maybe a school with smaller class sizes would benefit your kiddo. Sorry you're dealing with this.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:17 AM on Nov. 10, 2010