How do you discipline your toddler?

What works? Time outs? hand slaps? spankings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time outs for us. I have been using them since she was around 18 months old. she doesn't like to be in a room by herself so it's effective.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Time outs are the only form of punishment that I use at the moment for my 17 month old. She hasn't done anything completely horrible to warrant a spanking/smack as of yet.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Time outs dont seem to work very well for us. and i've tried spanking but it doesn't work either and I feel bad afterwards.I just dont know what to do. I understand she is only 2 buti just seems like nothing works..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son gets a swat on his but occasionally, but time outs seem to work best for us.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• room time-outs. If he doesnt listen to my verbal warnings he gets a few minutes time out in his room. It works every time. If we are away from the house I just set him aside and give him a talking to and he calms down quickly. *phew* lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We use time outs. I also will take something away if she is not using it properly, i.e. coloring on something other than paper or throwing crayons means one warning and then I take them away and put them up on the bookshelf where she can't reach them but can still see them. She can have them back the next day. For things like asking her to come get her diaper changed and she runs away I gently ignore her, as in I turn my back and refuse to look at or talk to her until she comes over to her changing pad. Distraction and redirection sometimes work, too, especially to try and head off a temper tantrum. And lots of patience. Sometimes it is so hard but I try to keep my voice and face calm as much as possible, I try to let her be mad if she really is and to tell her I know she is mad because she wants to do such and such but Mommy can't allow that. Just keep working on it. And I personally don't spank for the same reasons you gave.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• we use time outs, distraction and removing toys. we don't believe in spanking, so that won't ever be used.
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 5:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Verbal warnings, distraction, taking a toy away if he's not using it in a safe way, and time outs
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• When it's just me and our 29 month old dd, I can talk to her and tell her things are "BIG NO NO'S" and that will work, she won't touch/do it again....when it's me dh and dd, she usually winds up in her room until she calms down (bc taking her away from the situation causes a fit)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We use time-outs and taking the toys away if he's not using them properly. When he hits someone then we spank him. We are having a terrible time getting him to stop hitting ppl! esp. his cousin(who is younger than he is but the same size) We usually do the spanking and time outs together tho. He'll get spanked then be put in time out.
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 10:22 AM on Nov. 10, 2010