Reposting to get some answer(Long But Plz I Need Opinions)

In August my cousin from FL moved up to PA to rent a house with my and SO. In September we found one and signed a lease on it(all of us). We didn't immediately put down a deposit. Sometime in October(not exactly sure of the date, have to find the receipt) me and SO put 900 down so that they could hold the place. We spoke with the real estate agent and told him we needed more time and instead of moving in Oct we'd move in Nov. He agreed. So A week before move in date my cousin tells us he cant afford the place right now.(He can but he just had 2nd thoughts I guess and doesn't want to admit it. So we call the real estate agent and let him know that we will not be able to afford the place right now. It would be too tight with just SO working. I'm 8months pregnant. So he told us of another place he has, a one bedroom. Told us our deposit could be transferred over and we'd just need 600 to move in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That we have sitting in the top drawer.

So he told us he would speak to the landlord and get back to us. This is the same landlord for both properties so it seems easy enough. So the weekend passes and still no word so I contact him. He informed me that the someone name John should be getting back to me. John I believe is his boss. John called on Monday and we explained the situation and at first he wasn't aware that we were still trying to rent from them but when he realized it he said everything should be ok. So Wednesday comes and he calls and tells us that our deposit cannot be transferred since we broke the lease and technically we are responsible for rent on the place until they find tenants for it. But he said that if we rent from them we wont have to keep paying on the other house. We agreed. So he told us to call the real estate agent cuz he has the house and take it from there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If it was just you I would say yes. But you are pregnant, unless you want to move again in a few years, I would wait for something else.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, we have been trying to reach them and have gotten nowhere.

At first I called the agency and left messages with the receptionist. Both me and SO have done this and she told us we'd get a call back by the end of the day. A week later and still no call back. I call the agents cell phone and just get the answering machine. I call from SO phone and still the same thing. I call the office during business hours and still no answer. So now I feel like I'm being ignored. That's the only other place that they have that we can afford and I feel like they are trying to play us. So yesterday I left messages saying the need to contact me ASAP because I'm at my wits end.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Here's where it gets interesting. Although we signed a lease the landlord wasn't there so he did, and we never received a copy of the lease or keys to the home. I know not providing a lease is illegal. I know its a small technicality but can these details get me my deposit back and out of dealing with this company? Also, the agent we were dealing with said we could transfer it and then someone else said we couldn't. Can they charge us on a house they still held possession to? Do you think its worth getting a lawyer to look into?
    Anonymous

• can you go in to the office instead of just calling? I would show up there an demand answers...they are holding your money! If you signed a lease you are technically liable for that rent. You should have gotten a copy the day you signed it and they may be able to lie in court and say they gave you a copy. Since they never gave you the keys you may be able to get out of paying rent but you may still be required to either fulfill the lease or pay to break it. They do not sound like people that you would want to deal with on a daily basis. I would definitly say it is worth getting a lawyer over, make sure you are documenting each call, time, date, and what kind of answer/message you recieved and left and any other contact that was made, if you do make contact with them make sure you write down who you talked to and exactly what they said. If they still say you are liable for the lease demand a copy of it. good luck momma!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh and if your cousin signed the lease he is at least 1/3 responsible for the amount of the lease if it comes down to you having to pay!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• A drunk driver hit my car 2 days ago while it was parked so I have no way to get to their office. I live in Jersey but the house is in PA. Im hoping to get a ride with my aunt tomorrow. She lives in PA but works down here.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Go into the office and talk to them directly. Make sure they know you still want to rent through them, just the smaller place and be apologetic about having to change from the larger place. After you get what you need, then make a complaint about the way they have handled the situation and ignored your calls.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I dont know rental rights where you are located, but you can usually get a free consultation from a lawyer. Since you signed a lease you should have been handed keys right then?! Im kind of confused about that. That is legally binding. There are alot of loop holes in your particular situation..But them avoiding you has red flags all over it. I would definitely send them a certified letter telling them you will report them to the BBB and I believe it is a rental associtation who ever protects renters in your area and see what reaction you get
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• What a mess - you need a lawyer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010