Does our justice system offer "support services" for jurors (or others) who are involved in disturbing cases?

It seems like the evidence presented in many cases could have a long-term impact on a persons mental health.

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 2:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmm, good question. My husband was a juror for the court martialing of a child molestor. I felt really sorry for him during the trial. One of the children involved was the same age as one of our kids at the time he was repeatedly molested. I think this made it harder for him. He hasn't had any problems though..my hubby isn't the problem sort of guy though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Especially the case in Connecticut with the home invasion. I was so disturbed by hearing all the details about it. Some of the jurors from that case were on the Today Show with Matt Lauer. I hope they got help .......
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It should be...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• alot of that is weeded out in juror selection, predispositions are found in questioning potential jurors
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree! I can hardly listen to the news anymore. I cant imagine having to hear the disturbing details of cases. It would give anyone nightmares!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You would need to educate and research your state... As criminal/juror cases are the power of state specific courts..... Alaska does provide counseling emotionally traumatic trials.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I was a juror for a civil commitment trial for a rapist (basically we were determining whether he was too dangerous and likely to reoffend to be released from prison--if we decided he was, he would be commited to a treatment program and kept there until the state felt he was well enough to join the general public). Anyway, we had to listen to 8 women describe how he had raped and/or molested them (they were all between 12 and 15 years when the rapes happened). I wish they had offered us some sort of counseling or support afterward, just because it was a lot of terrible information to process. I can't even imagine what jurors for murder trials go through.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 6:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree with jewjewbee - those who do not want to be exposed to the facts of certain cases must make their sensitivities known during jury selection.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They should. A woman my mother worked with was on the jury for (the 2nd) murder trial for former indiana state trooper David Camm. He was convicted (twice, and convictions overturned, twice) for the murder of his wife and two children. They were subjected to pictures of the children, ages 5 and 7, shot to death. And photos of the mother. Being a mother, with children around this age, there is no way I could emotionally handle something like this. My mother said after she returned from the trial she was very emotionally distraught. Tourmented of visions of those poor babies in her dreams. I felt horrible for her.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• From personal experience, I do not think the voir dire process does an especially good job of weeding out potential problem jurors. I am sure there is debriefing required in many cases.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010