I have a developmentally delayed 3 year old son. He communicates with some words and some sign language. he started pre-school and is sometimes mean to the other kids, like pinching and pulling hair. He does this to our family also. He has medical issues as well and when he is sick his frustration increases. He doesnt understand time out. I usually just remove him but at school this is not a possibility.

pqsmylie

Asked by pqsmylie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is he recieveing any type of early intervention support services?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Does he have an IEP in place at school? My oldest is on the Autism Spectrum and my youngest has speech delay, and both of them have IEP's in place at school outlining what can be done to help them, what do to in case of meltdown (bad behavior). If you don't have one I would ask for one to be set up and what can be done to help your child.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• he was at home until he turned three and now he receives his speech and cognitive therapy through the school system. he goes to preschool three mornings a week so he can get those. he did receive physical therapy when he was at home but no longer needs them.
    pqsmylie

Comment by pqsmylie (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• if he has an IEP then a behavior plan should be part of it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If he doesn't qualify for an IEP you could do a 504.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i will check on the iep tomorrow when he goes to school. the school never mentions anything about that, they just inform me that he is misbehaving. he is in a class for special needs kids so they are supposed to understand these issues but i do understand they get frustrated and may forget the IEP.

what is a 504?
    pqsmylie

Comment by pqsmylie (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• http://specialchildren.about.com/od/504s/f/504faq1.htm
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thanks so much for all your comments. It helps to know that there are other moms dealing with this same thing. I am checking out the 504. i had never heard of that.
    pqsmylie

Comment by pqsmylie (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Maybe talk to the school?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son is about to begin special day class for autistic children and i too am concerned about his behavior. he too kicks and pulls hair when he becomes frustrated and i am affraid that he will be mistreated by his aids..i am extremely concerned to the point that i don't even want for him to begin school. I would much rather continue his behavior intervention therapy at home (full time) than for him to go to school. I feel you momma, I feel you!!! about that 504, i have never heard of that either..
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010