Colic Question.

My 2nd son is colic just like the 1st. He is going to be 4 months on the 14th. Everytime I think were through it he seems to backtrack. He has been pretty good for awhile now (not perfect, still high maintenance but better) Has anyone had this happen with their colic babies? Also, twice now I notice he gets his bellyaches back when he had a little bit of a cold or congestion. Is it common to get gas with cold for babies?

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried Gripe Water to ease some of the pain? My son was colic for 6 months straight and even after 6 months to 18 months went through every phase and stage and you KNEW it.. he VERY much got worse while sick or teething.. it was like an added nightmare... my son never in the 6 months he was colic went 3 days without a colic spell so I can't relate to going good then back tracking but I imagine it could be formula/BF related depending on what you are doing also.. I'm sorry.. Max was so bad I couldn't even be around other babies for 2 years and now that he is 3 I can't think of ever having another child.. I'm so sorry you are going through this Mommy.. stay strong and I do recommend the Gripe Water.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Back when my son was a baby 14 years ago we used Mylicon for gas and used a milk formula made out of soy. It worked liek a charm.But I know how you feel..It will get better.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I noticed that kids had hard ages with their tummy..... 6 weeks being a harder time...and a out of sorts 4 to 5 month old. Just a trend I would notice (had 35 babies via foster care). I kept kids off solids until after these fussy times just to see if new foods was the issues, growing gut? They all increased their volume at these times...that might be some of it.

I wonder if they have these growth spurts and get out of equilibrum...the teething, mouthing new microbes?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thanks for the advice maxsmom. My 1st son was colic as well, worse than my 1st actually, so I have tried every trick in the book. I think its because he was sick... Its just so frustrating and disapointing when you think you are getting your life back and then bam haha.. Did you kids not sleep well by themselves because of the colic?
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• True surfcitymom...He is also teething since 2 months so that doesn't help but I can definately tell the difference between teething and belly pain.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Max has never been a sleeper because of the colic. He got better at 18 months to 2 years old but it was like the day he turned 2 he stopped sleeping good again. this has been going on for the past year steadily every night.. I figured that since your first was colic that you have probably tried everything as I know I did too.. you are a brave STRONG woman.. I know you can get through this but Email me if you just need some support or someone to vent to.. I am not sure if you have bonding issues but I know the colic added to my PPD tons and it made it very hard to bond with him.. *HUGS*
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you tried "The Happiest Baby" methods? Our DD had colic and it was so hard. But she didn't have tummy troubles as well. The methods include swaddling with shushing and rocking, and then white noise.
    MamatoSam818

Answer by MamatoSam818 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I've practically tried EVERY trick in the book!!
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Nov. 10, 2010