How many of you have credit cards that you never use but all of a sudden now get a statement with a balance?

I have this credit card that I haven't used in years, never a problem. Now all of a sudden I get a statement via email (because I'm set up for alerts) showing a balance of $56.00. It is showing a "minimum" interest fee, late fee and annual fee. They "supposedly" sent the "new terms" to me through mail yet I dont' recall getting anything. I told them I wasn't paying it because I have never used the card and never recieved the letter stating their new terms. But apparently I now just have to pay it because I didn't opt out of their terms in time.. Credit card companies are such a rip off. They charge the vendors who accept them and they make interest off the people who use them and now the ones that don't use them. you can't even keep a card for emergancies without paying???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ugh I'm so sorry. You might be able to get out of paying it if you keep calling. If not I would pay them off and close the account. That makes me so mad!

We recently got a canceled credit statement (a card that we canceled over a year ago) saying they owed us 18 cents. Yeah that's great... so send me a freaking check and be done with it. So I called them up and the lady said they'd need me to reopen the account in order to use that money and she, "Wasn't sure if they could send out a check for just 18 cents." *Rolls Eyes* yet somehow they can afford to send me a three page statement every month. Weird huh?
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• there have been lots of changes to credit card laws, you should always read the things that come from them. I dropped a card I'd had since college because they were going to start charging a $75 a year annual fee.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't have credit cards. Period. They're a money pit, and obviously like to screw ya over!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have at least 15 credit cards that I never used, and this has not happened to me, it sounds like fraudulent charges to me, if I were you, I would fight them and not pay.

Answer by older at 2:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I dont' recall getting any mail from them. What I find funny is the one way they can ALWAYS reach me is email I have it set up for email alerts (just like I saw the statement I got from them today) but they didn't send any info on this new stuff to my email. It's like they hope you don't read it if it comes in the mail or you overlook it or they can just say they sent it and we didn't respond, how can you prove you never got it? You can't and then they can just report it on your credit rating. What a joke!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• older, I told them I wouldn't pay it and wanted the card closed and they said "we can close it but you are responsible for the charges and we will report it and it will effect your credit rating" How do you fight something like that? It's only $56.00 so it's not like you would hire a lawyer. it's like they know they got you so you just have to pay it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I never have used actual credit cards every time I get a "You're PREAPPROVED" letter I put it right into the shredder where it belongs! Now a prepaid on the other hand makes it easy for me to shop online and receive business payments through paypal W/O having a major credit card or bank account. I can handle a $3 a month service fee.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• You might be stuck with it, but also OP and older did you realize it actually HURTS your credit score to have opened credit cards with zero balances??? Especially for long periods of time, if you have no plans to use then it's best to close the accounts.

But i'm with others, I don't even have credit cards anymore, nothing but trouble and money pits. If I don't have cash I don't buy!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010