Do you think it is inappropriate to have alcohol at my baby's first birthday?

I am having it at my dad's house and that side of the family drinks a lot of beer all the time... i fell kinda weird asking them not to have alcohol since it is THEIR house. What do you all think about it? I do not plan on drinking for the record.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm...I think as long as it doesn't get out of hand it should be okay. Like if it turned into a huge drunken party it would be inappropriate. But if the adults have like one or two beers with their cake and ice cream, sure why not? lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would not provide it, but if they BYOB- I would be okay with it. As long as no one has a history of being a bad drinker, or gets drunk.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:36 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• No they do not get drunk. They just have a couple beers at all get-togethers....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I am with you on that I do not like drinking around my children, to me it doesnt matter if it is a couple of beers or not. I grew up around that and witnessed alot of crap. So I make sure that there is no possibilty of a bad situation happening with my kids present. And I do not want them to learn that that is a normal, to have alcohol around alot. If you have a big problem with it maybe you should find somewhere else to have it.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 11:03 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I would not allow it at my child's party. what if someone left their cup unattended...i mean it could be your child's life..or someone else's child's life.

lovinmyseabee

Answer by lovinmyseabee at 12:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It is a one year old's birthday party which will not last very long. They can't wait a couple hours to drink? Your child will see them drinking and if you say nothing, will keep a sub-conscience record that you approve of it.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 12:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• we have my sons b day party at my moms office because they have a liquor permit we always have wine and stuff i see nothing wrong with it we have the kid party and adult party too
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 12:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• As long as it doesn't turn into a drunken brawl then I see no problem with it. If they are going to drink they will drink and you won't be able to stop them so why even bother? If the party was going to be at your house and you normally do not allow them to bring alcohol there then I would say they should expect this to be a "dry" party. If things get out of hand call the party to an end and leave early. You can always make other plans next year if this party goes badly.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I dont think its a big deal...We had some at my daughters 1st birthday and nothing bad happened or anyone got out of control. Maybe you should have them drink outside? That is what most of the guys did...They went out on the patio and sat out there and drank whatever beer they wanted to..and when it came time cut cake or presesnts they came inside.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• This is what we did last year for my sons second birthday, and what some friends did for their daughters party as well. Have the party in the afternoon, do the cake and presents, let the kiddos play. Once the party is over, then drink. Everyone stayed for dinner and had a few drinks. The kids got to watch movies and have popcorn and got to eat on the floor during the movie. As long as the kids aren't going to be endangered by anyone in a drunken stupor, I don't see a problem with it.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008