introducing solids to the preemie baby

preemie moms:

when did you introduce solids to your baby?

i basically buy the argument that solids should be delayed until 6 months old. I was thinking for my preemie, we would start playing around with solids about 3 weeks before he's 6 months adjusted, because that is when he would have been 6 months, had he been born at 37 weeks.

i just wondered what kind of rationale you used for starting solids when you did with your preemie.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Having a son born at 33 weeks 5 days I started him on baby food and cereal at 7 1/2 months.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 2:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i had a 34 weeker... we did solids right at 6 months. rice cereal a lil before that. it was fine and my son is very healthy now.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son was 35 weeks and I started solids when he was 6 months. He did just fine, had he had problems we would have waited a little longer, but by 6 months he had pretty much caught back up 100%.

You may want to ask your doctor, but I had always been told 37 weeks was considered full term and there was no reason to adjust age, unless there is an underlying health/development issue.

Good luck and just remember if you try a couple times and baby isn't ready you can always quit and try again later. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh sorry I think I misread your question. I take it your baby was 34 weeks? I'm pregnant and easily confused. lol sorry.

Otherwise like I said in my previous just give it a go and remember you can always quit and try again later. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thanks ladies :) let me clarify: my son was born at 33 weeks, so i'm thinking of starting solids 6 months + 4 weeks from then :) that might still be confusing! lol. like just pretending he was born at 37 weeks and going 6 months from then :) he is 6 months old today, so that would be in 4 weeks! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thanks :) my older son started solids at 5 months, but then he wasn't really interested, he basically just had a taste here and there and started really eating around 7 mos. he was born at 41 weeks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My 35 weeker started around 7-8 months. His 41 week brother started around the same time. It's my opinion that we shouldn't base when to start solids on the calendar, but rather on the baby. Watch them for signs they are ready and offer appropriate foods.

By "ready" I mean watch for them to be able to sit UNassisted, be able to pick things up between their fingers and have a true interest in eating (as apposed to just an interest in whatever you are doing).

Both boys started with soft cooked veggies they were able to feed themself and they both made it very clear to us they were ready for solids.

If baby isn't interested, they aren't ready... doesn't matter what the calendar says.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thanks leanne.

i also meant to say that our pediatrician said we can start solids now, or we can wait a few weeks. whatever we want. i kind of like that our pedi acknowledges that these decisions belong to the parents ;) rather than insisting we start solids at the date he prefers :P
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it's good to go by your baby and what your ped says. My daughter was term and so no problems I think we started her at like 5 months.
    My sister had a preemie at 36 and her ped (who is also mine oddly enough) had Julia started on cereal at 4 months becuase even now Julia is 7 months old and only a pound more in weight than my 2 month old boy!
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 12:06 AM on Nov. 10, 2010