Why would a 3 yr old do that?

I poured my 3 yr old some blueberry juice and she wanted to carry it to the table. I let her since the cup was less than half full and I told her to be really careful not to spill because it will stain. So what does she do? She grabs the cup and runs into the livingroom instead of to the table and she THREW it onto the carpet!! What the heck? She's never done anything like that before? It was so random. I just don't get why she would do something like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is testing her boundaries. As soon as u tell her she can't do it,she will!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Did u give her a time out??
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Uh, I guess all I can say is Welcome To The Boundary Testing Phase!
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Oh yeah, she got a time out right away.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• People do peculiar things too, right? Even though we are told not to, something in us just wants to do it just because we're told not to. It's called "rebellion", we all have a case of it every now and then and your little one is no different. Of course, disciplining her is definitely in order. You know what to do I'm sure when she misbehaves, and that action definitely constitutes as "misbehavior". Ahhhhh, the joys of motherhood! It will make a woman out of all of us in the long run!
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 2:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Why did she do it? Because she's 3 and she wanted to. Simple as that. She wanted to see the pretty blue color all over the rug. I really don't think at that age they have the concept of cause & effect, it's more like "I want to please Mommy or Daddy so I won't do something" but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! LOL! You gotta laugh about it, it's a toddler thing!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Please do not angry, but I was picturing this in my mind, and I chuckled. I know it is not my carpet that I have to clean, but kids LOVE to do crazy things. They are inhibited and want to see what they can get away with it. This is why we have sippy cups. I know a lot of people think that after 2, kids should not have sippy cups, but it has saved my house from lots of spills!!

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Kids do weird things!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Kids always push that envelope. You said you put her in a time out and next time I am sure she will remember. These are the things we want to cry about as we are raising them but look back on them and smile once they are gone.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:04 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Yes, toddlers have a weird way of interpreting what you say. It's like every day is backwards day sometimes.

In short her behavior is completely normal and there is no clear idea WHAT must've been running through her mind at that moment.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2010