If American women feel so much pressure to be thin, why are they so overweight?

I was reading this :http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1173148/British-women-dont-mind-Europes-biggest-French-females-slimmest-worry-weight.html

About how French women feel a lot of pressure to be thin...and are thin.

I always hear women here in the U.S. go on and on about how in America there is so much pressure to be thin. If this is so, why are so many American women overweight? Why do you think there is a difference? Opinions?

Helloitslate

Asked by Helloitslate at 2:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• There isn't a McDonalds, Jack in the box, Wendys or Taco Bell on every opther corner in France. Fast Food is killing america.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We have both problems. Eating disorders are on the rise here as well as obesity numbers.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The difference is in lack of exercise, I have always been able to eat to my heart's desire because I burn it off with exercise. Women in the US can come up with tons of excuses why they just can't do this...........

Answer by older at 2:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I always think the same thing...apparently the pressure isn't effecting people that much.

Some teenage girls maybe but i think most people can replaced actually "doing" with complaining (and that doesn't just apply to weight).
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• bumped ya!

Answer by older at 3:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Laziness. Fast Food. Excuses... Simple as that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Life Happens! (you know stress ,Dumb men dont help Lol, and food taste sooo good(=!!!!
    missmoma73

Answer by missmoma73 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My thoughts.
    The lifestyles are very different.
    In France, most people walk just about everywhere. Or walk to public transit then walk some more.
    In the States, pretty much only those of us who live in cities walk every where.
    In France the size/portion of meals are smaller. Quality over quantity is the mantra.
    In the US bigger is better. More bang for your buck is the mantra.
    In France, most people eat their largest meal in the afternoon/mid afternoon.
    In the US, most people eat their largrest meal in the evening and then are pretty sedontary the rest of the night.
    In France, fast food is not the most consumed food when people eat out. People "eat out" at cafes, sit down restaurants. etc
    In the US, hitting a fast food joint is considered "eating out" by many people.
    In France yes there is fast food places like McDonald's etc. however they aren't as prevelant as they are in the states.

Lifestyle plays a big part.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree with pixie_trix it is the same way in Spain. Yes they have McDonalds and pizza hut but its SO much easier, cheaper, and tastier to go sit down in the corner cafe and have some arroz con pollo or seafood paella prepared with fresh ingredients, cooked with love and savor each bite than to eat it all in a rush on the way to somewhere else or while you are driving or whatever. Over there, they eat to live. Here, we live to eat. It's true. Plus yes they do walk everywhere, and most of their diet is based around fresh local produce, fresh meats, and seafood.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My SIL just pointed out something that she said I should add to this.

The Food standards in France (Europe in general) are different than they are here. Many of the additives and crap that are in the general food supply here in the states are not in the general food supply in France (Europe in general). These additives can and do also impact our health, the way our bodies metabolize foods, the way our bodies process foods, and how our bodies store the calories from those foods. These things also impact the "weights" of Americans as well.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010