What do you think..

it takes to be a good teacher?

I'm trying to figure out what I want to go to school for, and everyone keeps telling me I would make a great teacher. I've done a home school type preschool with my son since he was able to understand; I'm good at putting together little lesson plans for my friends children and projects and the sort. But I don't know if I have what it really takes to make a good teacher.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nowadays, teaching is all about teaching to the NCLB tests and you have very little classroom freedom. You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher under those circumstances.
    Anonymous

• You need to be authoritative. Kids have to listen to you. There is a teacher in my son's high school that the kids walk all over. They just don't listen to him. It's sad. You can be friendly and silly for sure, but kids must do what you say or the room will be crazy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• in my experience , the teachers we have loved the most are caring, patient,understanding , motivated, kind and willing to take on a challenge with all of the above characteristics -i think they need to be a people person willing to listen and talk to parents because issues arise. i think a teacher should be familiar or willing to get familiar with the many childhood issues and learning disabilities. a few teachers my kids had were all of the above and i am grateful for their nurturing that has helped my lil ones flourish :) hope this helps
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ask yourself if you are comfortable with diverse parents with diverse parenting skills. There are pros and cons to working in the private and public sectors of education, ask another teacher what her experience has been in the public and/or private school setting. Teaching children comes with many factors because children come from many backgrounds, many come from broken or dysfunctional homes. You sound like the makings of a good teacher, but being a good teacher in and of itself is not all the qualification that you will need to succeed in teaching this next generation. I have talked with many teachers, and some of their frustration has to do with parent involvement, administrative support, lack of educational supplies, teacher/student discipline, parent/teacher conflict, student/teacher ratio, and I'm sure there are quite a few other issues that I have not mentioned. Do some research and work from there.
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 3:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010