How often *should* an in town grandmother try to see her grandkids?

More info: 58 yrs old. She watches one 5 month old (temperamentally easy)baby in her home 6 hrs/day mon-fri as her only employment. She lives 10 minutes away. Just wondering what others would think normal time involvement for this grandmother of two (1 & 3) would probably be? Just looking for a range.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 3:10 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• You'd hope at least once a week

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Mine lives 6 minutes away and she see my toddler maybe twice a week for about an hour and usually I have ot go to her house.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 3:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well I think that its really more about her as an individual., My mom see's her four grandkids at least once or twice a week as for my MIL she sees her 2 grandkids every two or three weeks. I don't think one is better then the other it just has to do with their personal priorities.
    Sarahs_bowtique

Answer by Sarahs_bowtique at 3:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My mom lives 15 minutes away and she see's my son...well once a year. It depends on how much the Grandmother wants to be involved in her Grandchilds life. There is no set amount of time that a Grandmother SHOULD spend time with her grandchildren. Some people are blessed with family who is involved in their lives and some are not.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Boy o Boy I wish I could answer this question annonmously.. I have a mother in law that lives 5 minutes up the road that I wish I could have some distance from . She's good with the kids but waaaaaaaay too involved. I personally don't like my kids seeing anyone other then me and their father everyday, I think there should be boundaries and common sense which is what my situation lacks. I'm sorry I don't really ahve an answer but if you ever want to talk haha. Is there a specific reason why you are asking?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• thats really up to the individuals and the family as a whole. No one can just answer that. I'd actually rather go visit them, then have them just pop up unannounced.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My children and grandchildren all live very close to me. Sometimes, I see them several times a week. Sometimes, I may not see them at all for a week. A lot depends on what they and we have going on. They all know that if they need my husband and me to watch them, all they have to do is let us know. We don't have any kind of a "normal" visitation schedule. We are usually more apt to go to their homes than they are to come to ours, but that is mostly just because it is easier for the two of us than for them to have to load up to come to our house.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would think at least once or twice a week. While grandparents and grand kids need time together, they also need time apart.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We lived close to my MIL for 2 yrs and she only saw the kids on holidays when we went to her house. She almost never made an effort to come see them or watch them or anything. My mom wants to see them at least once a week and we are 2 miles from her now.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My mom sees my dd a few times/wk. It just depends on the week. Sometimes she sees her when my mom is jsut dropping something off, other times she picks her up from school and keeps her for an hour. She "sees" her quite a bit but it isnt always in the fun grandma way because we see eachother quite a bit. Today my mom ran into school and watched the veterans program, tomorrow she is picking her up from school and they will run errands together.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010