Anyone an army wife?????

Im in need of some advice. My husband is enlisted in the army and will leave in January for training. When he is finished we will find out where we are stationed at. We have a 2 year old son. I am extremely nervous to not only be without him but to move. I am worried about our family, finding housing, having enough money, and finding child care. Any advice would do me wonders.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 3:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If their son is two and he is just now leaving for training, I don't think he was in the military when they "got involved."
    Anonymous

• I am not an Army Wife but I am a military wife. It is hard at first to move and get used to all of the changes but you can make it through. The military does have a lot of support systems set up but it is up to you to take advantage of them. You can usually find housing on base and the military gives you a housing allowance to pay for it or you can use it to find a place off the base. You can also recieve child care through the military at either one of the CDC's or through an in home care...this is NOT free...but usually income based so it is more affordable. If your husband is enlisted money will probably be pretty tight for a while but the longer he is in the better the pay gets. Once you get to your first base find the family support center to find out what kind of programs they have to offer you. Make as many friends as you can to keep yourself busy!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• OMGosh...my first piece of advice is get used to people saying the term 'you knew that getting involved with someone in the military'

Obviously she didn't read what you said or she would know you were already together. People will also say that if you are upset when he deploys. Welcome to the jerks of the world! Please feel free to add me and ask ANYTHING that comes to your mind. I was military and my hubby was just retired from the military (Army).
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I used to be an Army wife. there are pro and cons. You move around alot, but you make alot of friends along the way. Just find out what programs they have once you get settled. It may be tight at first, but it's worth it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My father was in the AF, my DH is also retired so I didn't know anything other than the Military. You will get used to moving. There are plenty of support programs on the military installation. Ask at the housing office, ask just about anyone on post/base. Best of luck to you, I hope you enjoy being a military wife. You will make the best friends. DH has been retired for 20 years and we still keep in touch with some of the people we met in the military. It's hard but worth it.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 3:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010