Do I get my twins their own "potties" when it comes time to start potty-training?

I have twins, a boy and a girl they're only 13 months now but I want to start preparing for potty training and wanted to know if everyones opinions. Do you think its better to let them each have their own "special" potty seat or just share one, after all they'll share one once theyve got it. I dont know I'm probably putting too much thought into it but can't decide if it'll be easier if they had their own and have them practice sitting on them at the same times or just take turns with one.

goldfish09

Asked by goldfish09 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Buy two.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I bought my boys each their own. At first, we had one that they shared, but one of them got it in his head that he would get sick and die if he used his brothers potty, so we bought two.
    busyyoungmom

Answer by busyyoungmom at 3:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My kids used a potty seat maybe 5 times each. Then they went right to the real potty. They had the one that sits on the real potty. I wouldn't waste too much money on potty seats.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I bought one potty chair and one potty ring that fits on the toilet. We ended up mostly using the potty chair as a stool in front of the regular toilet with the potty ring on it. My daughter was ready for potty training a long time before my son, so she had it all down by the time he was ready to learn and fighting over the toilet wasn't really an issue most of the time. I also held off on potty training until they were 2 1/2 and almost 3, so they were bigger and more secure on the regular toilet by then.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I dont have twins but I do have 2 girls that are 14 mo apart in age. When I started training the older one, the younger one wanted to join in. Like "tweenandtwinmom", I had one potty chair & one ring for the big toilet. The took turns using both things. It always seemed like if one wanted to go the other one did too so it was easier to have something they could both use at the same time (we have two bathrooms but of course they had to both be in the same bathroom....they wouldnt do it any other way lol) With my older kids (when I was training one at a time) I only had the potty ring, never a chair & it worked out just fine. But having two kids trying at the same time, it was just easier to have both things. Good luck to you.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have 18 month old boy girl twins and they each have their own potty. Trust me when they are ready they won't want to share and they will want to be in there at the same time and you will want to encourage that as one may be able to lead the other. We are at the beginning stages and our girl wants to sit on the potty when her big brother is on the big potty. (Big brother is only 10 months older and still in the training process.) They are all at the age with pushing, shoving and saying mine. You will appreciate the extra cost. I also have the kind where the seat comes off and goes on the big potty so we keep one upstairs and one downstairs. I wish you the best of luck. It is hard work and never give up. PS- I highly advise that you let them in the bathroom when you are using the "potty" and explaining to them what you are doing. Use the same key words at all times and be consistent.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! @Love2snorkel70 I was hoping another mom of twins would respond thank you! And any other advice/helpful hints to raising twins is definitely welcome
    goldfish09

Comment by goldfish09 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• let them have there own toilet seat,,goes right over the real one..can get them anywere...
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2010