How is this election affecting YOUR children?

Is there any problems at school or in life due to family beliefs? I know my kids are stressed and they are at home!

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My kids may be a bit stressed about the election but I think it is a healthy stress. My kids range from 20 to 7 (4 boys) and I encourage them to debate their thoughts. We have 1 independent, two conservatives, an undecided and 2 elementary kids... My 9 year old is leaning toward conservative and actively debates politics with his school mates. My 7 year old just likes to color, draw and (freakish as it is) dry dishes. The 20 year old is independent with conservative tendancies and the 17 year old is undecided at this point but leaning toward conservative.

Cont.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Remember that children are able to pick up on tension in the air, that comes from your own body. This is the humans inborn ability to know to protect itself. If you are talking and debating the issues or yelling at the television, like I do, hehehe, then they definitely are picking up the vibes. I would lay low for a while, relax, breathe, drink some herbal tea, but the best thing you can do till Tuesday, and likely after (when the real poop will hit the fan), is to take them out for a brisk walk every afternoon, or evening to help them and yourself release the tension. Walk for at least 20-30 min. and 45 if the kids are able. Be sure and talk and enjoy the scenery, but walk briskly. Everyone will sleep better and you'll see their emotions and tensions release. I know this will work. Try to have a good week. Let them see your concern about our world, but don't share utter frustrations with them.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:05 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'm sure my unborn baby is suffering from all the stress the election coverage has put on me, lol! She's probably like "WTF?!" because I'm so sick and tired of it all. I was very excited about everything back in August, but now that election day is only two days away, I'm so anxious for it to all be over. I'm sick of the mudslinging and the name-calling and the bitching and whining and moaning and smearing from BOTH sides.

Although I can't wait until my baby is old enough so I can tell her all about the very special and historic election that took place when I was pregnant with her xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• kids being stressed over an election?!?!?! thats weird.... they cant vote, so whats so stress?? how old r the kids?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Well, my children are both getting to vote for the 1st time, and they are soooooooooo excited.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• The older two are my bonus sons (just to explain the next bit). Their mother is VERY active with the Democratic party and plans on seeking a career in politics within the next few years. She and my DH debate their opinions on many occasions and it's really fun to watch! We encourage individual thought, following your gut feeling since politics isn't always about fact but how a person make you feel, and being open to hear other people's thoughts and opinions.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My aren't stressed at all. My daughter will be able to vote in the next election, and she's becoming more politically aware, but she's still 14, and her main concern is how many text minutes she has left.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 2:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My kids are too little to know what is going on. 3, 1 and 2 months. But I can't wait until they are old enough and studying this in history class and I can tell them all about it. This is a historic election. Old guy vs. Black (AND white) guy. But when my 3 y/o sees Obama on TV he says "Bama Momma!"
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 2:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My daughter actually has to talk about the elections in class,I don't feel that comfortable with it thou.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• For the first time all my children are old enough to understand and participate in conversation about the elections. My oldest is 21 and has been very involved since she was 18. My 16 year old understands that what we do now will affect her future and my 11 year old is starting to understand that the government has some problems and we all need to participate in the solution. Is it stressful? I prefer to think of it as engaging and educational. They are reading about the issues and engaging in debates and conversations. They are learning that people with different opinions are not necissarily wrong and learning to listen. How could any of that be a bad thing.

notjustamom848

Answer by notjustamom848 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2008