breastfeeding does NOT always mean weight loss lol

anyone else agree? i am by no means breastfeeding to lose weight but i thought it would help shed punds, but i have barely even lost the weight from fluid increase from pregnancy a total of 13 lbs! thats it i gained over 5 after she was born from severe edema but now at a month old im still just a big pretty much and she only breastfeeds all day, im eating super healthy and i have been active since my csection even walking laps around the hospital my second day. im hoping it will come off soon...and that the breastfeeding will eat my fat stores lol

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It took me 2 years to lose 40 lbs (20 lbs to go till my pre-pregnancy weight). I dont think it was from breastfeeding but eating healthy and being physically active
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I breastfed after having twins but i think i really lost all the weight and even additional weight by 2 or 3 months after my csection but i think a lot of it is genentics too all the women in my family had easy pregnancies and looked back to normal the same day they popped em out lol it took me a little longer cause there was 2 but now im 2 sizes smaller than i used to be! So chin up itll come off in time ad dont overwork yourself either! :)
    goldfish09

Answer by goldfish09 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• breastfeeding in most cases will help your uterus get back to normal size quicker, since breastfeeding releases oxytocin hormones and makes your uterus contract slightly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I' had my son just over 1 year ago. I'm still needing to lose 50 lbs, I did only breastfeed for 3 months, but I haven't lost or gained any weight!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No, it doesn't, but be gentle and patient with yourself.....It usually takes a year for your body to let go of the extra fat...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• bah! my sister loses it within 2 weeks granted she never gains more than 25 my first it took me 8 months and i only started losing it at the end of the 8 months. i have 30 more to go but if i could lose 15 in a month id be happy for now. i didnt know how many people have a hard time getting the weight off...so that sort of helps lol thanks ladies
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm right there with you. I just was silly and thought that the pounds would just melt away as I breastfed. Oh, if only. But I did really enjoy breastfeeding my daughter, I just would have loved if it could have been the equivalent of doing some cardio or something. :) My weight loss totally stalled by about two weeks after delivery and then I just stayed the same weight until I realized I was actually going to have to work at losing those remaining pregnancy pounds. It's been a slow process though.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Everyone is different. But, it DOES help shrink your uterus to pre pregnancy size, and I believe that ONLY nursing does that. I never lost more then a few lbs nursing either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's only been a month!! hahaa....I know though. I think that even though it does suck out the calories - we are all still built differently. You'll get it off, doll! Keep up the good work!
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I am breastfeeding, lost all plus more of my baby weight within 2 weeks and am having to absolutely stuff food in my face every hour in order to maintain my weight. When I stop breastfeeding I will have to cut way back on my calories (or that has been my experience the previous 4 times). But I guess everyone's metabolism is a little different. I do think breastfeeding helps though, even if it may not seem so.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010