if you work a nightshift FT...how do you do it?

i'm looking for a job. SO works all day and I'd hate to stick ds (2 yrs. old) in daycare ( not too mention the cost would pretty much empty our paychecks), so I'm looking for a night shift. I've applied for a few places but for PT hours. If you work a nightshift, but FT, then you have to be supermom all day long, how do you do it? How do you sleep the recommended amt of time? or if you work PT what do you do? Some jobs that hire seasonal nightshift are mostly FT hours, so it would be a 9pm to 5 am shift, then ontop of that I'd be supermom to my toddler? I dont think I could handle that.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• We rotate who wakes up with the baby...I went to dayshift and got a babysitter but I am going back to nights in January again...it sucks it is truly a strain. We dont ever really see each other (besides sleep) but for the mean time it saves us like 500 bucks a month! SOoo when you put it that way, we make the weekends all about the family and US time! Be strong and sleep as much as you can. With a 2 year old she is probably sleeping through the night any how...so you should be relatively okay!!!

Try to make a schedule, get out of the house during the day...do crafts and movie time...then go to work....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well,. this doesn't really compare but my DH works 4 nights a week 10 hours a night.. however its starting at midnight til about noon so we still have to put our son in daycare, except that one day he is home with Daddy when daddy doesn't work.. but he gets very little sleep even on that night.. Our provider we have used to have a schedule where the wife worked all day and the DH worked nights then came home and cared for their kids all day til she came home.. and if you are the one to do this, you basically sleep like NEVER to 3 horus a night.. there is just not really a way around it.. I wish you the best of luck - he was a mechanic and my husband works at a soda company... there is over night stalking shelves at Target or Walmart but I don't know what else.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i'm trying to avoid the FT positions for the reason of getting no sleep lol. my mil worked nightshift tll dawn for quite some time, but her kids are grown so she didnt really have to worry about childcare. I'm definately noy in that situation. I need energy for my 2 year old ds! I couldnt ever get used to 3 hours of sleep. I'm happy I at least took the first step of applying for jobs! I love being a sahm but finances are so tight right now and I want to help.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm so happy not to be in that position now, but I worked the late shift at a bar when my oldest was a baby and toddler. I got to sleep from about 4:30 or 5 am until about 8 am if I was lucky. If she woke up before 8 am I'd go in her room and lock us both in the room so she could see me but she couldn't get out and get into trouble (I usually crashed in her floor and woke up when she hit me with a toy). At 8 I started drinking lots of coffee.  Some days I also took a nap in the afternoon when she took a nap. I got ready to go to work when she went to bed for the night. I adjusted to just not getting much sleep, but I really don't recommend it for more than a temporary situation. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• oye tweenandtwinmom! that sucks!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• im a nurse and ive done more than my share of night shifts. if your not normally a night person you will be miserable. have you thought about posting an ad on the bulletin boards of area hospitals/nursing homes offering pm childcare in your home? you might ba able to watch a few kids and still sleep for more than you'd make at a night job. i used to pay $30 a night for 2 kids and that was 15 yrs ago.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I tried and I couldn't do it. The problem was staying awake with the baby the next day. I can handle the night work, I can handle not seeing my DH, but I need sleep! When I fell asleep and the baby fell off the bed, I picked her right up and brought her to daycare.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I did it for a while right out of college. It sucked then and was hard getting used to. I can't imagine doing it while trying to take care of a family and a house.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 10, 2010