Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 Bumps

Can he legally withhold money?

I am a stay at home mom and a full time student of 3 young children. My husband is the only one working and recently we have been going through some difficult times. We had a joint account, my money from school goes into there and his paychecks are direct deposited in there. Last weekend he got mad at me and cleared out the bank account. Now I am stuck with no groceries for our kids, no diapers for the baby, and he is splurging on himself. He is refusing to buy us anything and I dont know what to do. Can he legally not take care of us financially? I really dont know what to do or where to turn for help.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (30)
  • yes, if you have a joint account, then legally he has the right to take the money out of the account.

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • WOW!!! I dont even know what to say!!! BUMP

    Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • leave his scummy ass....

    Answer by ryanlynn at 3:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • yes he can do that legally. If you are seperated or anything though you can go claim temp. custody of the kids and they can help you establish a temp. child support order so he has to give you something

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Well I wouldn't say he is legally allowed to take the school money, so I'd get a free consultation from a lawyer. I'd also change the locks and not let his butt back into the house....and frankly if he has anything of value, clothes, collectibles i'd sell them and feed the kids

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • The first thing I would do is go to a church for help with groceries. I would see iif they could suggest someone to talk to as far as legal info. Sorry you are going through that. Your in my prayers.

    Answer by arenad at 3:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Yes, he can take the money out
    No, he can't jeapardize the welfare of his children.

    I'd get legal advice quick and maybe explain the situation to your parents/family to get some grocery money in the meantime.

    Answer by Zoeyis at 3:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • You are in an abusive relationship. I would get out of it asap if I was you. Not sure if you can do anything about most of the money but if the school money was a grant or loan that is supposed to be spent on school you may have a case. I would Contact a lawyer about that and a divorce. Good Luck

    Answer by tntmomof2 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Legally yes he can do that and that is one reason why with my ex I NEVER had a joint account because he tried to pull crap like that all the time. The problem with trying to get any help is that they will want to know the entire households finances to do it for most places. You could try a women's shelter or most local food banks will serve you once without needing to provide financial information.

    Answer by aeneva at 4:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • If his name is on the account he can legally take money out of it. As far as your school money goes- I would consult with a lawyer on that as that was YOUR money for YOUR education-- not for him to take and spend on him. While I was speaking with a lawyer I would also start paperwork for child support, custody and a divorce.

    Answer by MizLee at 4:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.