Sex Ed in school?

When should sex ed be introduced into the school systems? Do you think it should or shouldnt be?

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 4:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Since reproductive health is a public health issue there should be standards related to 'sex ed'.
    There should be age appropriate discussions in Kindergarten (correct names for private parts and good touch/ bad touch).
    In 5th and 6th grade there should be the puberty talk with girls and boys separate with more indepth anatomical discussion in addition to the changes that will happen to their bodies.
    In high school they need to be given accurate information based on facts, not rhetoric or emotionalism. Talk about everything abstinance, condoms, pills, patches and the risks/benefits/disadvantages. Talk about date rape, too.
    All the stuff I just said should apply to public school only. There shouldn't be any standards put on private or religion based schools.
    Of course, parents should be around to answer any questions too. And if anyone has objections in the public school they can opt their kids out of the class.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 9:43 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think it should and I think it should be age appropriately introduced starting in Kindergarten. Meaning simple things and work their way up to the real deal by age 9 or 10 at least.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think they should. There are some parents out there that don't tell their kids shit. My parents didn't teach me anything about sex or puberty I had to learn it on my own.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It would be nice if parents would just teach their kids that stuff and the school could focus on regular education.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I guess it depends on what you see as sex ed... IMO, teaching the word Penis is not sex ed, but apparently some feel it is. Things like that need to be covered early, pre-school if possible. Then in Kindergarten or First grade the "good & bad touches" need to be covered because that is the time when these kids are in danger of experiencing this stuff. Puberty should be covered around 3rd or 4th grade at the latest because that's when girls will start to develop. Then basic "sex ed" needs to be started no later than 6th grade, because it's around that time when many will start to experiment, if they haven't already. Condoms, sponges, diaphragms & other BC methods need to be discussed as well as STI & STD risks and symptoms, and this needs to be a part of their education from this point on, it's something they need to keep hearing and seeing. If we treat it as we do basic hygiene, it becomes as normal as basic hygiene.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think around ages 9 or 10. Kids need to know things their parents might not be able to explain to them, for an example, a film about venerial diseases with graphic pictures. Some parents dont discuss sex with their children. I wish they would explain about abortions so the kids could understand more about the process. They are starting earlier so they need to learn earlier.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I should start in Kindergarten with age apporpriate talks about their body and good/bad touches. What to do if someone does touch them inappropriately and then go from there. By 4th grade it needs to be taught about the changes a child's body will go through during puberty, talks about hygiene and menstruation. The talk for real sex ed should be started and completed by 8th grade. Oh, wait, that IS what is done in my son's school. There are too many parents that ignore ALL mention of bodies, puberty, menstruation, protection, pregnancy, STD's and S E X. They THINK that not saying anything will keep their children from having sex. But, they are wrong. Children need to be educated. The school teaches abstinence as being best but they also give the kids education on protection, etc. My son watched a movie on STD's in 7th grade and it grossed him out. Maybe it will make him THINK before having sex.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• It would be nice if parents did....but they don't . It is either because they are too uptight or they just don't want to take the time...either way, parents are letting down their kids everyday about Sex Ed and responsibility and respect for education.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree with Sex Ed in school because some parents do not take the time to teach their children because they really dont care.. Maybe thats why their are so many 12 year olds pregnant now a days.. But down here they have that class in 5th grade and you do not need a parents signature to take it, but you have to to pass.. That is stupid, and way to young kids are only 10 then, and to young to know about it maybe 6th or 7th grade, but not 5th.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I disagree with Jambo. NO method should be "pushed". Sex ed should be informative ONLY. Morality is something that should be left up to the parents. I know some parents don't instill morals but, it is too much of an overstep for those that do to have schools favoring any method or having any agenda.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:28 AM on Nov. 10, 2010