true or just an ignorant feeling ?

Do you think doctors who only take patients on the medical card are not as good as the doctors who dont ?

I have went to a good DR since I started going to a gyno. ... But we recently lost our insurance and are now on the medical card I need to go to the Drs because I have alot of "female medical problems" and might possibly need a hysterectomy. I havent went to this DR yet ( my appt is in 2 weeks) but I am worried about how good he is... and I know that all DRs are different and no matter what insurance you have they can be good or bad... I went to one other "medical card DR" and he was horrible, wouldnt listen to me, and when I had a biopsy done he was very unprofessional ( which is why I switched)

what is your opinion ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Health

• I think its ignorant persoanlly. Because all drs have to be trained and certified, what forms of payment they accept doesn't matter. We have private health ins. and i STILL run into crappy doctors...so its more based on the personality of the dr than it is, the forms of payment they accept. and most drs accept more than one type of payment, so it is possible you could be seeing a dr that someone else who has private insu sees as well.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think Drs accept the forms of payment that are available to most patients in thier geographic location.

A dr. in a ritzy neighborhood would be less likely to accept a subsidy payment, but an inner-city Dr. would be a fool not to, KWIM?

I think the type of payment a Dr accpets has no bearing on thier skills and abilities.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have had the same OB/GYN through ten years and 3 different insurance companies, one of them being State Medicaid. He has always accepted them without hesitation and has never treated me any differently because of my insurance. I went to a general physician that accepted my great insurance, that was a complete tool. After I lost that insurance, we were forced to switch doctors. The next doctor treated us much better, even though we were on State insurance at the time. I think its the doctor, not the insurance.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I actually have medi-cal for awhile while I was working until I could get private insurance. My doctor was amazing! After I got off medi-cal I was bummed that he didn't accept my private PPO. So, no, I don't think medi-cal only docs are bad.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• With my first pregnancy I had an AWSOME dr and I was on governement medical. I told him when he was diployed over seas (when I was pregnant with my second child) that when he got back I would follow him to any practice he was switching to because he was that great.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 5:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2010