Do you think the shows 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom..

are good for showing teens why they shouldn't have sex (or at least unprotected sex), or do you think they might make teens want to get pregnant? Or do you think they don't have any influence in any way whatsoever?

Just curious..even if you don't watch them, your opinion is welcome! =]

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 4:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I really think they show the reality of being a teen parent. The hardships, the struggles, the dramatic life changes, etc. They show the reality of what these teens go through when they're having to deal with the choice that they made. I think it's important to show that, so that teens understand that it isn't a walk in the park. That you're not going to have everything you want ontop of being a parent. I really believe that the shows shed a light into the teen parent world that otherwise would've been ignored.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:32 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I love both of the shows!!
    I think it's like any other reality show, there's stuff you don't see, but I think it's sending the message to teens and reaching out to them that it's not easy, and i think that's the main part of the show that I like.

Even though I didn't get pregnant as a teen, I can see why it can happen so easly. That's why I decided not to have sex till I was 21
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I dont think the point of the show is to make pregnancy look fun. I mean you see the teen moms struggle for the most part. I think the celebrities is what makes teens want a baby. Look at Britney Spears sister! She is very pretty, she wore all those cute maternity clothes, but what the people fail to remember is she has money. She can afford nanny's, personal trainers, her parents help raise the baby...her difficulties and struggles have to be left behind doors in order to keep a positive image. I certainly didnt want a baby during my teen years and if that show was aired when I was a teen it would make me want one less, seeing how the teens want to glamorize themselves by being on tv and the obvious struggles they face.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i don't think teens watch those shows. the ones that are going to get pregnant at least. i think it has no barring what so ever.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:40 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I believe it could be both. MTV does not do a good job of showing the reality of being a young mother, let alone a teenage mother. How are they supporting their kids when some of them don't even have jobs? I'm pretty sure they are getting paid for the show and may have help from their families so where does that leave the girls who don't have those luxuries?I hope for the sake of the younger generation that there is a wake up call and babies are not brought into this world just because it's the cool trend at the time, kids are forever and should not be a "fashion statement".
    mom2yalibel

Answer by mom2yalibel at 4:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I believe it shows the reality of being a teen mom from second pregnancy scarier, abuses relationships, marriage, failed relationships etc..
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I agree, Sillylins. And I love the shows, as well. =]
    -AJ

Comment by -AJ (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I was all for the show until they started putting them on the cover of People and US weekly. By doing that, they are making them celebrities and I've lost all respect for the girls/the show.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My teens watch them. I however think they are stupid.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Hrm..not quite the answer I was looking for, but I guess that's what happens when one lacks reading comprehension and/or intelligence. lol.
    -AJ

Comment by -AJ (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2010