what do you like about living in a mobile home?

SO and I live (rent) in a double-wide right now. We love the area, neighbors are nice, county schools (which are the good school in this town), yet not too far from city-limits. The floors are caving in and the landlords fix the floors as they go (I reckon to save time and money), the walls are pretty much there for decoration, not the best insolation (at least in the bedrooms). But we are on a good amt of property and to get a house for all we have we'd pay much more. the landlords offered to sell this place but they want too much and there's too much to fix. We are looking to move (to a house) but just cant find anything in our price range. How do you make the mobile home...a "home?" the carpets are off brown, the walls are white...I want it to be a "home" if we're gonna live here for a while.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 4:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We lived in a single wide for a few months when i was finishing college and DH was getting his business off the ground.

I hated it. It was tiny and hot and all of our neighbors were crazy.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I own a doublewide mobile home. It's really nice actually. It's 1400 square feet, regular carpet. It's pretty new and we keep up on the care. We don't have any issues with heating, we have central air. My mortgage is only $340 a month. It's a decent place to live without having people living above me, or going broke paying rent on a home, while we save up for a house.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Ummm...WTF? ANON..weird.

Well, I love mine, but, it seems to be in better condition. I also have wood flooring in the kitchen and laundry room. And I have mice color carpet and patterned walls. I put up pictures and decorations and pretty curtains.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well, I think a mobile home is a good option for some people. I say if you like it and are happy there then stay. I am renting a condo for many of the same reasons (except I have no property) and I love it. Does your lease allow you to paint? That might be a good start to making it feel more homey.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• namaste the landlord did say I could paint the walls a neutral color if I wanted to, but that's not fun! they are white so I'd paint them what..a "neutral" off-white? kinda pointless lol. I have adorned most of the walls with framed art/photos/posters and the windows are decorated with tapestries over the blinds. I also covered the couches with pretty blankets
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• well that works too!!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I lived in one, just moved out about a month ago. I liked the fact there was no stairs, and easy to keep clean. Even though ours was only built in 1996 it had a lot of problems in just the year we lived there, A/C went out all summere, pipes froze last winter, pipes got clogged in kitchen & laundry room, and trailors have bad instalation as it is. My suggestion would be see what your landlord would allow you to change or fix. Flooring for example. Also if you live where it gets cold in the winter putting plastic on all the windows helps keep the heat in.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2010