Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

What should I do?

I have a family history of depression/ anxiety. I suffered from panic attacks since the age of 14. I was placed on anti-depressants at an early age and thought I needed to depend on them until I turned 19. I then taught myself to deal with my anxiety without meds. I'm fortunate enough to not have had an attack in a long time. My problem now is I have a four and a half week old daughter and am having problems with my husband. I have found myself crying too many nights and I don't want it to develope into post partum depression. I can't talk to my "family" and don't have many friends. I would like very much to have someone to confide in who may have some advice or maybe in my same situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by mom2yalibel at 4:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I think the best person to talk with would be your doctor. Being able to talk on cafe mom and hear other peoples opinions is great and is helpful at times. But you need to have your doctor evaluate you and see what is going on.

    Answer by sue118 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • I agree that with your medical history you should definitely address this with your doctor. Post partum is so commom even in people who haven't dealt with depression or anxiety issues. Geez, the first months I felt anxiety if someone even looked at my baby and I would think they might want to steal her. I knew it was irrational but at that moment I literally would want to pick her up and run- it's just such an emotional time. Anyway, it's quite possible that a doc visit or even temporary meds to get you back on track could help and then the coping mechanisms you have used in the past would be enough for you again once you get over this hump. Only a doctor can really help you evaluate that. But if you want someone to talk to about motherhood feel free to add me as a friend or send me a message. My DD is 2 now but I remember all too well those early days. It's a hard time for a relationship but DH and I pulled thru ok. GL!

    Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • For now I'd try Vitamin B complex, eat right, get some rest (as best you can) and talk with your doctor at your check up

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Thanks everyone for your advice. I was actually going to look up a psycologist in my area, I went to one before and I think they may be able to help me as well.

    Comment by mom2yalibel (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

  • Well after having a baby even the most well balanced person is dealing with crazy hormones. So yeah talk to some one your dr. Your ob. It is okay honey lots of us have been in the same place. Good luck. If you ever need some one to talk to there are so many here that will lend an ear.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.