Why is a high voter turnout a bad thing?

Ok. I don't understand why there's such a big deal being made about accomodating a record number of voters this year. People have been pushing campaigns to get out and vote every election year for as long as I can remember, and now that people are actually voting, this is being treated like a bad thing. People are saying that the only reason people are voting is based on skin color and discounting the fact that when you have a record number of voters in practically every demographic, that the numbers of black voters (I hate the term "African American"-- I refuse to use it except to refer to people who actually emigrated from Africa.) are automatically going to be higher. Why is that? Why is no one commenting on the record turnout of women voters? Shouldn't it be considered a good thing by all people that so many of us are using our rights? What do you think, ladies?

AaronsMommy1015

Asked by AaronsMommy1015 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i do consider it a good thing.
    i think the real focus is on voting facilities and how they are not well equipped to handle this record turnout.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• That's what I was going to say, heather :D I just couldn't figure out a way to word it.

I do think they should say how voter turnout is huge for all demographics! Not just black people. They should really see it as a huge, awesomely awesome thing that we're ALL exercising our right as US citizens.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• its true, more black people are voting cuz there is a black canidate..as simple as that...

i am in no way a racist but i call it how i see it....

if there were 2 WHITE canidates it would have been nothing like this and its scary... because people are voting on just that and not looking into either canidate.....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I know that here in Columbus, the Republican half of the board of elections (2 of the 4 voters) didn't show up to vote on whether to extend early voting hours, so the meeting was nullified for lack of a quorum. They then went on-record as saying that they don't want to offer the extended voting hours. It's ridiculous to expect all voting to take place in 14 hours, regardless of the rapidly expanding population.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• "if there were 2 WHITE canidates it would have been nothing like this and its scary... because people are voting on just that and not looking into either canidate....."

There AREN'T two white candidates, so you have no way of knowing if that's true. We, as a society, have been trying to drag people to the polls for decades. And now that they're out there, we're upset about it? And your reasoning doesn't account for more women voters or more young voters... both demographics that are ALSO voting in record numbers.
    AaronsMommy1015

Answer by AaronsMommy1015 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I don't think election officials think high turnout is a bad thing. Most are very pleased that so many people are performing their civic duty this time around. I think the worry is long lines, possible violence because of the emotional involvement so many people feel, and the out dated equipment some polling places use that may cause problem. There will be issues on election day, no doubt about it. Let's just hope that everyone keeps a cool head and calm heart and waits it out.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• "Answered at 11:46 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 by: JuLiAnSmOmMy317 its true, more black people are voting cuz there is a black canidate..as simple as that... i am in no way a racist but i call it how i see it.... if there were 2 WHITE canidates it would have been nothing like this and its scary... because people are voting on just that and not looking into either canidate..... "

Um, wow, what an incredibly narrow view. Record turn out has nothing to do with skin color but everything to do with people disgusted with the current administration and the deep seeded need for a change. I'm quite certain people are doing research and choosing the candidate who most meets their needs. Really, I hope you do research and vote based on issues and not skin color. If you don't, your vote will be wasted.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It isn't a bad thing at all. Everyone of eligible age should go cast their ballot.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It's never a bad thing when people actually use their basic constitutional rights.
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 2:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Let's see here,I read posts and comments here on Cafe Mom and gather the racist views. In perspective It is sad that some whites have been resenting the fact that Obama has a majority of black supporters. Althou,It is the first time in history a black man has run for president or rather gotten this far. In no other presidential race has race been a issue because the canidates are always white male.No one complained about the black vote then,no one could accuse a black person of voting because of skin color.Do you recall it was the color of their skin that denied them the right to vote and certaintly be President, in our countries dark past? I have heard some blacks talk about his character,intelligence and forums over his blackness. There are black mc cain supporters as well and it's funny does anyone call them "sellouts" or "Uncle Tom's"...sure they don't.
    Anonymous