breastfeeding with teeth?

My 4 1/2 month old daughter has 2 front teeth. I am breastfeeding her full time and it hurts like heck!! I dont know what to do. I dont want to stop breastfeeding but it really hurts. Any ideas?

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• I breadtfed and am breastfeeding...My son now who is one has 6 teeth and he likes to tease me by taking a little nip. I agree you have to un latch the baby and do it again. It takes a lot of patience and treeth marks to get through it BUT it will pass. When your baby gets older you can unlatch and say no biting...It helps. Good luck and I know your pain sister!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 6:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My daughter is 16 months now and has all but 2 teeth. There was a little bit of an adjustment period. She would bite me!!!! I am not sure if this is your problem. When my daughter would do that I would just pinch her nose. It didn't hurt her and she would immediately open her mouth.  After doing this a few times, she learned that biting equaled nose plugging.  Since it was uncomfortable for her, she stopped biting.

If you nipples are sore or have sores (ugh!) try lanolin! 

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Zach is 15 months old and has all of his front teeth! It was uncomfortable at first, but now I've adjusted to it. I think it will take some time for your body to adjust to having teeth touching you while the baby is pulling. There are still times when it's uncomfortable, but I take him off and have him latch again and it seems to help with the discomfort. Maybe you could work on your baby's latch to where it doesn't hurt you, your lactation consultant could help you work on this. He has bitten me, mostly when he has a new tooth coming in.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I breastfed my youngest for 24 months.. That meant all teeth even molars. If she bites then you delatch her and try again.

I would suggest that you find yourself a good qualified Lactation consultant or a LaLeche League in your area. They are there for this reason.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 2:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2008