Why is sex ed necessary

in school? I don't care if they teach it and I can see studying biology but aren't some things the parents responsibility? Just because parents don't teach it does that mean the school has to teach it? I don't think some kids are being taught how to do dishes or keep a clean house so is that the school's job too? Where do we draw the line? What is the role of the school? Can we have healthy debate please? No bashing eachother. What do we expect the school to teach kids before they leave there? I think in High School kids may listen to the school nurse more than parents but both should be talking in my opinion!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think parents should tell about body changes but it may get it out in the open and stop so much embarrassment or secrecy if they discuss the changes going on in a class at school but ultimately I think its the schools job to educate on academics and the parents need to parent.

ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Whether you do the dishes right may give you a stomach bug, but its not STDS, AIDS or pregnancy invovling another life. Parents should be teaching kids this stuff, but a lot of them don't. Hell parents should be teaching their kids good hygine but unfortunately schools have to teach that to. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:06 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• The issue is just what you said about some parents not teaching it. Someone has to teach these children about Sex and Sex related topics. It's not going to come naturally to know every detail about STD's, Sex, pregnancy, etc. Someone has to step in and inform these children. Now, it is up to the parent to initiate the conversation, to answer any questions, and to correct anything they feel is misleading from the school. However, for those kids who's parents aren't going to talk to them, where do they go for that information if the school doesn't provide it?

Ultimately it is up to the parents to do their job in teaching kids about sex, but you said it yourself not every parent does.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I imagine because many parents weren't bothering to teach about sex and the rise in teen pregnancy and STD's started the rush to try to teach about sex and how to be safe. When I was in school we didn't have sex ed per se, it was more biology. There was no talk of condoms or birth control pills but there was the big discussion of diseases and how they are transmitted.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• IMO- not only do some parents not teach their children about sex, but a lot of parents are not educated on sex themselves and unfortunately schools need to make up for that. AIDS and STDS are another huge factor in why schools should teach sex ed. I think parents should also be talking about sex with there kids and reinforcing what the teacher is saying. I expect that my child will learn a lot in sex ed like the changes the body goes through in puberty, how you get pregnant and how to use birth control, what stds are and how to protect yourself.... the list goes on. If it's coming from both parents and teachers, it's better to better over educated than under educated especially when it comes to teen pregnancy and AIDS!

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My personal view.

Sex ed is not: a moral issue, a parents rights issue or a religous one. It is a Public Health & Safety issue.

Under educated (non-educated) teens (who also happen to grow up to be adults) are not only a potential health risk to themselves but to others as well. A person who is not fully knowledgable in regards to: Safer sex practices, sexual responsibility, irresponsible sexual behaviour/practices and the myriad of consequences/reprecussions that go along with it, unintended pregnancy and all it can bring along with it, Birth control and proper usage, understanding sexual boundaries (not just your own but your partners as well) etc.

The consequences/reprecussions of most of these things do not just lie on the individual, they also lie on society as a whole. Society as a whole ends up responsible for/paying for many of these things in one way or another.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Our schools taught things like how to do dishes and do laundry too - it's called Home Ecc. But there is a HUGE difference between teaching someone how to do dishes, which keeps their home clean and teaching them something like sex ed that can save their life. IMO, there isn't ever something off limits when it comes to teaching, schools should be teaching this stuff because it needs to be basic knowledge, and most of it isn't. Many parents were undereducated on these subjects and so they couldn't properly teach it if they had to, and we know the majority of them simply don't teach it. I know my "talk" consisted of "Do you know what sex is?" and my sister didn't even get "the talk" cause my mom just assumed she didn't need it... Point being, parents aren't doing it, and those who do aren't always up to date on the proper information.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Sex ed is part of human biology. The changes in male and female bodies, sex, reporduction, childbirth, are all part of science. It should be taught in schools.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:22 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Is Sex education working? Dont we have diseases spreading and fairly high rates of teen pregnancy?
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I guess the next time my uterus grows a kitchen sink we can teach dish washing also :)
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010