Should I apologize to my niece?

On my nieces birthday my dad started yelling at me over a conversation he was eves dropping between my mom and I. My niece was in her room with the door shut and radio on. I ended up leaving to prevent anymore problems. Since that time my mom has not spoken to me and will not respond to anything I have tried. She told my 9 year old son that until I apologize to my niece she will not talk to me and I am not welcome to anything or her living quarters. What should I do....it is tearing me apart.

momof1withwings

Asked by momof1withwings at 5:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes. Tell her you were trying not to ruin her day and the only way u knew to do that was to leave.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 5:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think it would be the bigger thing to do. Your niece didn't deserve all that drama on her birthday even if she didn't hear any of it. I think it would be best to apologize to her for having to leave her birthday. Yes, it will validate your mom's petty reasoning for her fit, but apologizing wouldn't be for your mom it would be for your niece. So just suck this one up and apologize.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes and I agree with what imuney said

Answer by admckenzie at 5:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would apologize to your niece but technically I would be more upset at your mom for making your son involved in this battle... if your niece was hurt by the fighting she should have told YOU ( your mom that is ) not told your son to tell you - that is immature in my opinion.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My niece did not know I was there, we were not invited.Long story but my sisters kids live with my mom and she has temporary custody. Anyway my niece is 14 now and really doesn't talk to me or anyone. No she did not hear anything, but I am expected to apologize or basically be disowned and my dad walks away scott free. My son is upset saying my niece was. Not mad at me but he does not understand why his maw maw wont talk or see his mommy.He asked me if I would do that to. Him.I am just. So hurt that my mom is acting like this to myself but To include my son......
    momof1withwings

Comment by momof1withwings (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Well what are you waiting for just apologize already. Then have a little talk with your mother.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Just apologize. I KNOW it sucks but until you do it will keep tearing you apart. & you are apologizing for the sake of your relationship with your niece...no one else!
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 6:47 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I would say apologize the your niece then go talk to your mom and tell her that you do not appreciate her putting your son in the position as go between. that if she has something to tell you then she should be the one telling you. She needs to be made aware how her involving him has upset him then she should apologize to your son.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010