Surgery.

My daughter is having her tonsils and adenoids taken out on Monday. I'm so nervous! Has anybody else had their kids have this at 2 1/2? What can I expect?

Would a gift for after surgery be a good idea? Would visitors be a good idea to come see her after? The doctor said she'll be there overnight because she's so young.

:(

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I havent been through it but I have a friend who has young twind daughters and they did very well! They were awake in a few hours and things had gone great. They were grumpy for a while and around day 3 she said they were crying alot from ear pain. They ate alot of eggs and mashed potatoes but within a week they were okay.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 5:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My grandaughter had hers out 2 weeks before her third birthday. My son had them out at 14. # was a WHOLE lot easier than 14. They kept her overnight because she was so tiny for her age. The hardest part is keeping them hydrated because they do not want to swallow. It's a vicious cycle..if they don't drink they can get a fever, further hydration,..more pain. We found ice cold pediasure was the easiest thing for the first two days. The more she swallows the sooner the pain will ease. I was nervous too with my granddaughter because she was so tiny. They took her tonsils and adnoids..and put tubes in all at once. It was so nice for her not to be sick constantly. You'll be fine and so will she. BTW..at our childrens hospital no pediatric visiters except Mom and Dad.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:18 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out at three. Try to get her to drink as soon as possible, and often! We made a special cup (imagine lots of glue and rhinestones) a few days before surgery. Then we admired the cup and made a big deal that she couldn't drink out of it until after the surgery. She actually did better with the procedure than her older cousin. Good luck!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My oldest had hers done just a couple months older than yours - before she was 3. She did extremely well! She did get a few little gifts, mostly from my mom, and we didn't really want visitors - it was in late fall, when flu & colds are more prevalent. My mom was the only one who came. She also stayed overnight.

As far as what to expect - there is no general "what happens after". Some kids recover quickly & well, some don't (my 3rd didn't do well). Keep on top of her pain meds - don't try to wean her off or down to more hours between for the first while - every 4 hours, whether she's in pain or not. Nothing red to eat/drink. Stay away from dairy (yogurt, pudding, ice cream) - it can make the mucus thicker and harder & more painful to swallow. If you're not against it, I highly suggest taking her to a chiropractor as soon as she feels up to it - it really helps the pain because they're hard on them in surgery!
    Anonymous