Do you trust/believe everything your peds tell you?

Or do you still do your own research? Do you get a 2nd opinoin?
At my DS peds office there are prob a least 10 dr's there. He said my son had full blown asthma and allergies. He put him singular and an inhaler everyday twice a day. The thing is I have researched and researched the 2 conditions and I do NOT believe my DS has either. I dont want him to be on meds that he doesnt need. My DS s 18 months old. I guess the reason he thinks this is bc in sept and end of oct he had a resp viarl inf with coughing and weezing runny nose congestion. He was put on sterioids, and a nebulizer. When he gets sick it tends to go to his chest. But that does not mean he has full blown asthma/allergies? He is fine on a day to day basis just not if he gets sick which has only been twice since he turned one. This dr did not really ask me ?'s and has only met him twice. My mom is the type to just trust believe dr's and says he knows more than

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't believe then 100% of the time. I have had very bad luck with Dr's and then diagnosing our son.. I would get more opinions if I were you and you didn't trust what you were told. GOod luck. !!! I know its so frustrating to battle with the medical field.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I dont, because I also have very bad luck with doctors and I have had 1 in the past fill my head full or crap, freak me out for no reason. A second opinion never hurts if you feel like there maybe somethnig more to it or it is not the right diagnosis.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No, I don't believe everything they tell me. Of course I don't have an education in medicine, but when your mommy instincts are saying something isn't right.... I'd go with your instincts.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No I go with how I feel and what I think is right. Sometimes mothers intuition is better then a educational guess from a doctor.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If you're not comfortable with what your Dr. says and is doing, get another opinion. I really don't trust Dr.s at all so I ask lots of questions, etc.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I trust my son's ped. mostly because he has shown time and again that he is worthy of being trusted. My son presented with similar symptoms to your child but at first my doc did not conclude asthma until the second sickness. He sited the reasons why he changed his diagnosis to asthma and he was perfectly willing to except that he was not right at first. His goal is not to have our son on permanent meds either and prescribed two inhalers, plus an antihistamine which we were to taper down as his symptoms disappeared.

I still do my own research, I still would get a second opinion if I didn't agree with what he was telling me, but I do trust him. If I didn't then I'd get another doctor.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I believe no Dr. 100% of the time. Having said that the way present your sons history indeed leads me to believe he, at minimum, has Reactive Airway Disease. People with RAD don't handle colds the way everyone else does. For instance. My son, and my grandson and I can be exposed to the same cold as my granddaughter and husband. They get a runny nose for a few days and are fine. The other three of us go from a runny nose to full blown bronchitis overnight. My grandson can go from sniffles to pneumonia in 24 hours. It is the way your body can tolerate infections. Allergies often trigger the exact same thing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I never believe anything I'm told til I research it for myself. I've been mis-diagnosed and had doctors "miss" the cause of some of my health issues more than once in my life. I've seen how money hungry doctors will drag out unnecessary tests and medication to treat symptoms rather than get to the root of the issue and fix the problem... And I've seen how ill-equip and under educated doctors cost lives... I research EVERYTHING, and work WITH my doctors (and my children's doctors if needed) to get to the root of an issue rather than treating symptoms, and I absolutely refuse to simply take their word for it when they say "THIS" is the treatment or "THIS" is the way things are done, because I know better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:50 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My son actually goes to the same doctor I do. She's been my doctor for 10 years and I trust her. She looks at all the options and listens to me when I ask or suggest something. She's also not a "let's wait and see" type of doctor. We work together.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't trust his ped but I trust my sister who is a ped. If I don't like something his Dr has told me or if I believe something is wrong I talk to my sister and get her opinion before I go with what the doc says. No doc is right 100% of the time.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010