Would You Go Car-Free?

Many are chosing this path due to finances. Others are chosing a less material life, like the followers of Rowdy Kittens.
We went car free when my husband and I lost our jobs and our car required a major repair. We live in a city that has public transit. We also have

berrymorin3

Asked by berrymorin3 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• no we couldnt. no public transportation down here and we live out in the country.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We are a one car family right now...Hubbys car died last week =( so I am car free...we sold his car on craigslist for 400 since the junk yard would only give us 200!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 5:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No way - we would struggle even going to 1 vehicle. We live in a town with nothing - no grocery store, no public transportation, absolutely nothing. DH's business & side line job both require a vehicle that cannot double as a family vehicle, and we can't have a family vehicle that would be able to double as a work vehicle.
    Anonymous

• I have lived car free for over 20 years now. LUV IT!!!

I will never own another car again if I can help it.

I save thousands of dollars a year (between: maintenance, insurance, parking, upkeep, gas, etc) due to not owning a vehicle. I walk everywhere, and if it's somewhere I can't walk to I take either : the bus, the MAX or the streetcar to get where I'm going.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I forgot to add this.

My husband and I picked the place we live based on the fact that we do not own a car. 25 years ago when we married, we had an idea of the type of lifestyle we wanted to live. One of the aspects of that lifestyle, was the ability to live without "having" to own a car.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:36 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We live in a very rural area so going car-free is quite simply not an option.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:37 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• If we really got down to it, i guess we would have too.. in our area it would be slightly doable.
    There is a Walgreens, Hospital, Kroger in less than a 1/2 mile from my house. And about 3miles is Walmart. 5miles is a mall.
    We live in the subdivision right off the main road of our town.. and rarely leave it unless we are visiting other people.
    We have tons of fast food. and decent restaurant (olive garden. red lobster. el toro). a mall & hobby lobby, michaels, khoels, and more...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We have public transit, but everything is so spread out in our city we'd spend half the day on the city bus if we needed to cross town for work.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I don't think it would be practical for our family. My husband's job is 30 min away by car. He takes the kids to the sitter in the morning (around 6am) I pick DS up and take him to pre-k in the middle of my workday. I just think it would make everything so hard. It was super hard when we were down to one car, I can't imagine not having one at all. .
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• We might survive with only one car, if we had to, but we couldn't go without one at all. My husband drives about 15 miles to work. But my needs are simpler. Our kids go to school less than a mile and a half from home and the grocery store is just a little beyond that. There isn't any real public transportation though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010