how long after intercourse should you wait to take a pregnancy test? (I cannot wait til I miss a period because my cycle is irregular, sometimes I will go without my period for 3-4 months!)

We had unprotected intercourse on October 26th.

I have a very irregular cycle therefore I cannot depend on my period to tell me whether or not I might be pregnant...I will sometimes skip my period for months at a time.

So....

How many days after intercourse would it take to show a positive result?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I say 4-5 weeks
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• 14 days

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• They say you have your period like every 28 days or something like that. I would wait about 3 1/2 weeks or ask a doctor. But just because it may say negative does not mean you are I would try again another week or so later. I took test after test with my son and it did not say positive till I was almost 3 months and that was even the doctors urine and blood tests.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• 2 weeks is the soonest I'd do it.
    Anonymous

• The SOONEST is about 8 days, but in order to have a better chance at avoiding false negatives, wait 2 weeks.

That said, you could know when yo'ure ovulating, when you have a chance of being pregnant, when to expect your period and a lot more about your body by charting your cycles. Get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It will teach you how. You can get it at the library for free :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• At least two weeks. One for the egg to travel to the uterus and another week for the placenta to start kicking out the HCG hormone. I'd go three weeks to be sure.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:41 PM on Nov. 9, 2010