What ever happened?

Growing up the news was always AIDS, acid rain, hole in the Ozone.. and the likes. What happened? All those issues gone now? No longer important? Not the latest 'flavor' or fad so not worth reporting?
What do you remember being scared by? My Aunt says she used to be scared of Nulear war. That was the constant headline.

Jambo4

Asked by Jambo4 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Those things are still in the news. Could we just be so used to hearing about them that we don't pay as close attention anymore?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I'm not sure what news you watch now, but those things still make the news when developments and studies are done around here. It's not that they aren't important now as they were then, it's just that they aren't NEW NEWS any more, so besides when there is new information to share, there isn't any reason to make them headlines any more...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:17 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Really? I haven't heard the Ozone mentioned in years! Sure, I hear the occassional mention of AIDS down in Africa, but that's about it. No AIDS concerts anymore. Acid Rain? Can't recall the last time I heard that one.
    Jambo4

Comment by Jambo4 (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Nothing really scared me growing up, my parents just didn't allow us to focus on such things. As a young adult however I was worried about bringing children into this world (post Desert Storm). I didn't want my children sacrificed for a unwarranted wars.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:24 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• It's all about war and politics right now. What makes people fight is what seems to make the best news, I guess!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Yes, I'm like your aunt. I remember growing up and being scared of nuclear war. Not even much about global warming lately. There's always been something that someone is professing will be the end of the earth. I think we take reasonable precautions and go on with our lives. I don't really have much time for doom sayers; I'm to busy enjoying life day by day.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I remember hearing a lot about the o-zone layer growing up, but I haven't heard anything about since then (about ten years ago).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:53 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• Our fears growing up were Commies and Nukes.

tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• lol....remember anthrax...and oh geez what was the other one....i cant even think now...everything else is pretty much still around unfortunately!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010

• I think so many of us have grown up with the understanding/fear of AIDS that safer sex and testing is just a given. (I know I did.)

The ozone layer is healing in part, since the reduction of chemical propellants used in products.

Acid rain is still an issue. My son's 5th grade class is actually studying the acidification of the world's oceans and its effect on ocean and wildlife populations.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2010