HELP!!!! My twins wont breastfeed

I had them early and they wernt taking in alot of my nipple and they didn't seem to suck hard enough. My lactation consultant at the hospital recommend I feed them with a syringe and pump till they are a couple weeks old and can become better suckers. I have only been able to pump 5 times a day, maybe 6 because im so busy with the twins and I dont have much help. Today I went to pump and hardly got 20ml.... now im freaking out... my milk supply is diminsihing and my hopes and dreams of nursing twins are going out the window. is there anyway I can get my supply back or am I doomed?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 6:15 PM on Nov. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try relaxing and give it a couple days if you still dont much then go back to the doctor they might be able to help or it might just be time to feed formula i never got the luxary of nursing my little girl
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• How many weeks are they? Put a call back in to the lactation consultant. Maybe you can try a supplemental nursing system.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Have you looked into an SNS? I hate to say this but you can't make any excuses (even though I can't even imagine the amount of work you are having to do with 2 babies) when it comes to pumping. It has to be every 2 hours no ifs ands or buts about it. Please contact a support person whether it be someone you are comfortable with at home or online or an IBCLC or LLL to help you succeed at breastfeeding. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Congrats on the new little ones!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i say join http://www.cafemom.com/group/325 there alot of help when it comes to breastfeeding

Gen

Answer by Gen at 6:28 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Keep trying to put them both to the breast.

Pump out put does not equal milk supply. You might be holding tons of milk in there. The baby can get it out much better than a pump can.

Nursing takes practice for babies. The more opportunities they have to try, the better for all three of you.

Wear them in a wrap. Wearing your baby can help your supply a ton. If I wear DD all day, I'll over produce. A Moby wrap can accommodate twins.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:59 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• There is a tea called mothers milk and it helps. I wish you the best of luck
    Rhiannon1980

Answer by Rhiannon1980 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Fennugreek, lactation cookies, lots of extra water, keeping up with your caloric intake, etc...you CAN do this. A lot of times really little babies just can't fit the nipple into their tiny mouths so it is a matter of waiting until they are a bit bigger (though I would continue to try every day). GREAT LC advice to so a syringe or a spoon because you don't want to do a nipple or you might run into more trouble later.

Check out kellymom.com for great info and advice. I also make lactation cookies so if you need some (or want the recipe), let me know! They TOTALLY work.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 9:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I see lots of great advice in here. I was not able to nurse my first and with my new boy I can't due to meds. I know there are supposed to be meds they can give you to help increase your supply as well but I don't know much about that.
    Just remember even if things don't work out in the end healthy happy babies are most important even if they are formulafed. My SIL had twins and they are doing great with formula, a choice she made as her hubs was going to be gone for the first six months of their lives with the marines and she was going to be alone so she chose what would be easiest for her.
    I hope all works out for you, truly.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Keep trying the breast until they get used to it. The latching process might have to be learned, so you need to show them how and make sure it's done correctly but soon they will catch on! KEEP GETTING HELP and don't give up unless someone (medically) says you need to. If it's your dream to nurse, you should continue to try. Congratulations! Twins, how awesome!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2010